Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 304cr mini excavator ser# cat00304pnad01794.

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a cat 304cr mini excavator ser# *****

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The machine is having trouble when you opperate both tracks or just the right track alone. if you use only the left there is no problem. if both are used it is slow and weak but when i opperate any other hyd at the same time the tracks work fine until i stop the other hyd function. it doesnt off track and the 2 speed works when other hyd functions are used.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

The blade sticks in the wrong spot like the float position is messed up

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/8/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Nine out of 10 travel problems on excavators are resulted from faulty Rotary manifold seals by passing with in the Rotary manifold. This causes the drive motors not to get full pressure and also causes pressure to bypass to another port within the manifold. A lot of drive motors are replaced by misdiagnosing and skipping the Rotary manifold seals which is a costly mistake. Resealing your Rotary manifold is actually part of the troubleshooting process. If after resealing your manifold you still have a travel problem, then you would check for excessive case drain at the drive motor. Case drain should be a very low volume of oil so if it comes out under high pressure it's an indication that the drive motor has excessive internal leakage. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

i dont see why the problem would go away when i operate other parts of the machine

Because your hydraulic pump is split into two sections therefore operating separate functions individually to allow for multiple functions to operate on excavators. When you start working other functions it will send more pressure and oil flow to the functions compensating for the problem.

If all functions operate normal except for your travel than this is what you're looking at.

what would the Rotary manifold becalled on the cat website

Either rotary manifold or swivel joint

It's the same thing but some manufacturers call it Rotary manifold others call it swivel joint and some just say swivel when it's all referring to the same thing.