Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have service codes in a D5N that I can’t find 113 &

Customer Question
Hi I have service...

Hi I have service codes in a D5N that I can’t find 113 & 0722.05 can you tell me what they are

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Agg01823

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. Nothing because I have no idea what the problem is. Machine work fine thronging a cat 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have also lost blade tilt not long before alarm

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I will check these codes and post back shortly.

113 means this code is from the transmission.

722 is the component code for the secondary brake solenoid.

.05 means the current of the solenoid is below normal (possible open circuit)

This diagnostic code is recorded when the current of the solenoid is below normal. The secondary brake solenoid will not engage the brakes when the service brake pedal is pressed near the floor.

I have seen this code also happen when the pedal has been pressed a few times without being fully pressed. It may be cleared by fully applying the brake pedal.

If that does not correct the warning light, then you will need to troubleshoot the brake wiring further.

It has nothing to do with the tilt function of the blade.

Note: Ensure that CID 0722 FMI 05 is on hold and that the fault present indicator shows "SERV CODE". In order to correctly determine the status of the fault present indicator, turn the keyswitch ON while the brake pedal is completely released. Completely depress the pedal and release the pedal again. The fault present indicator will only show "SERV CODE" for CID 0722 FMI 05 when the pedal is released. This will happen only after the pedal has been cycled completely since the last powerup. Use the same procedure in order to clear the diagnostic code after repairs have been made.

Test Step 1. CHECK THE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position while the brake pedal is released. Press the pedal completely and then release the pedal. Ensure that CID 0722 FMI 05 is on hold.

2. Disconnect the machine harness from the secondary brake solenoid.

3. At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, place a jumper from contact 1 to contact 2.

4. Observe the status of the fault present indicator.

Expected Result:

"SERV CODE" is displayed and "SERV CODE" is NOT displayed as the jumper is installed and the jumper is removed.

Results:

• YES - The circuit is correct. The solenoid is faulty. Repeat the step in order to verify the solenoid failure.

Repair: Replace the solenoid.

STOP

• NO - The fault remains. Proceed to test step 2.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE SIGNAL CIRCUIT OF THE SOLENOID FOR AN OPEN.

1. Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

2. Disconnect the machine harness connectors J1 and J2 from the ECM.

3. The jumper of test step 1 remains installed.

4. At machine harness connector J1 and J2, measure the resistance from J1-8 to J2-3 and to J1-7.

Expected Result:

There should be less than 5.0 ohms resistance.

Results:

• OK - The machine harness is correct. Proceed to test step 3.

• NOT OK - There is an open circuit in the machine harness. The open is in wire G731-GY(Grey) or in wire 975-WH(White) of the machine harness.

Repair: Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 3. DETERMINE IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE IS STILL ACTIVE.

1. Inspect the contacts and clean the contacts of the harness connectors.

2. Reconnect all harness connectors.

3. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.

4. Enter service mode of the Caterpillar Monitoring System and clear all inactive diagnostic codes.

5. Operate the machine. Use the full range of brake pedal during operation.

6. Stop the machine and release the service brake pedal.

7. Determine if the CID 0722 FMI 05 diagnostic code has recurred.

Expected Result:

CID 0722 FMI 05 diagnostic code is recorded.

Results:

• YES - The problem has not been corrected. It is unlikely that the ECM is faulty.

Repair: Exit this procedure and perform the diagnostic code procedure again. If the problem persists, the ECM may have failed. Prior to replacing an ECM, always contact your dealership's Technical Communicator for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time. See the Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

STOP

• NO - The diagnostic code is NOT present.

Repair: The problem does not exist at this time. The initial problem was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.

STOP

•  

The tilt control is done through the pilot controls of the joystick, no electronic controls except for the angle control of the thumb rocker.

You may have damage to the tilt cylinder if it if moving on its own.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH