Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I’m having a problem with a Kato excavator it in the

Customer Question
Hey catmastertech I’m having a...
Hey catmastertech I’m having a problem with a Kato excavator it in the hydraulic system didn’t know if you could help me out or not? You helped me out so great on my 953 cat 3116 Thought maybe you might know a little something about Hydraulics
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/28/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I don't have any experience on those machines but, I will try to offer some input based on your description of the problem.

I do work with the CAT systems but, these machines can vary wildly.

The reason I’m asking you is you helped me so much with that 3116 cat motor the other week I just thought I might take my chance and see if you could help me with my excavator I did order a service manualOff of eBay I should have it in a few days but let me give you a little background of what’s going onWhen you start the machine up if you push both levers to make it go forward or backwards it tracks fine but if you let off the left track lever and try to go forward or backwards The track will not move it just labors the motor if you shut it off and let it sit half a day or overnight and repeat the steps it will do the same thing I can lift the boom and lift up on that side of machine and push the lever in the forward position or backwards position and as long as you don’t let off it would run all day but the second you let off of the lever and try to go forward or backwards it will not move just labors the motor same thing with the bucket dipper that works very slow from what I have been told the hydraulic motor one side of the hydraulic motor runs certain functions and the other side runs the other functions I have cut apart the hydraulic filters no metal we have drained the hydraulic tank no metal we have tore the hydraulic pump apart no metal I’ve been told it could be a sticky valve a spool valve but most everybody has said it’s not the hydraulic pump itself we did do a pressure test on the hydraulic pump and it is within specs wasn’t sure if you might know something about hydraulic systems and maybe what to look for again I did order a service manual I should have it in a few days just thought maybe you might be able to help me out you saved me so much time and money on my(###) ###-####motor it runs absolutely greatI just thought maybe you had a little knowledge with hydraulic motors

This is a bit difficult to read without any punctuation marks to break up the sentences. If you cannot type in periods or commas, please break the sentence with a return (or enter) to the next line. Anything to break apart the sentences would be helpful.

From what I am picking out is when you make a turn, half of the hydraulic system becomes weak. To me, this sounds like the main relief for that pump section or valve section has been forced open by the turn and is now stuck until the machine has been shut off for enough time to allow the relief to cool and return to normal.

It could also be a pump controller valve that acts as the main pressure limiter that is stuck open and has dropped the pressure for that pump and its control valves.

OK I flunked English so I really don’t know where to put periods and commas I will try to end everything with at least a period. Here is a very simple way to explain to you what happens. Picture an excavator spin it to one track and lift up the boom so the track is off the ground. Move the stick to make the track go in motion either forward or backwards if you don’t let off of the stick it will spin freely as long as you keep the stick in motion. If you let off the stick to the neutral position or back to stop Position and try to go either forward or reverse the track will not move and it labors the motor.if you let it sit Half a day or better and repeat what you did it would do the same thing over and over again. The dipper on the bucket does the same thing if you move it to curl the bucket it will move fast but as soon as you make the motion to curl back it will move very slowly. Now I have been told that half the pump runs half the machine and the other half the pump runs the other side. I agree there is some kind of a valve sticking I had this trouble before a few years ago. In that case it was the swing of the machine and the boom of the machine The gentleman that worked on it cleaned up a valve and made it work but he says he doesn’t have time to work on it. He is a Amish farmer and the Amish come first and it isAlmost time to start tilling the fields. He said it would be a few months before he could work on it again.I guess what I’m saying is I’m on my own to try to get this fixed because it is becoming my busy time. If I get a service manual is there anyway that I can snap pictures of hydraulic Pages is there a way that you could talk me through what to tear apart and clean up. You did such a great job with me on my 953 that I thought I would give you a shot to help me again.

Yes, I will try to help. If you find the schematic for the system and some details on the pump and its control valves, we might get some idea of what could be happening.

I see this is different from my first thoughts. If it can lose power without ever going under load, it must be a pump control problem. Maybe a signal issue depending on the pump operation controls.

(Do not worry about perfect grammar, I struggle with it too. I cheat and use grammar correcting software to help me type my replies.)

Ok thanks I will try my best. I’m just not very good with computers and grammar software as soon as I have the service manual in my hand I will get back to you. Thank you Don. Should have it in a couple days

Do what I do, when faced with a PC challenge, I call my kids to get them to help me!

If you can get the pages saved as a PDF file, they can be uploaded to a cloud service or directly here.

(NOTE: I use a cloud storage service to prevent every one using my work. Once I am finished, I can take it down. If you upload it to this site, anyone and everyone will have access to your material.)

OK as soon as I get it I will have my wife do that.The problem with my daughter is she is in college so she can help me too much anymore with computer things LOL

10-4, always good to have the Chief take care of things!

That’s for sure

:)