Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

753 bobcat, boom and bucket only work intermittently.\ 753,

Customer Question
753 bobcat, boom and...

753 bobcat, boom and bucket only work intermittently.\

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

753,###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Disconnected the seat bar switch. Checked wire connections on solenoids.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/24/2019
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

By that serial number I'm guessing that's a C series machine. The BICS diagnostics was relatively simple on those machines, doesn't give you a whole lot of information, but you need to start there, sometimes it gives you a clue on what's causing the problem. When you start your machine and let the seat bar down, check the LED lights on the BICS controller to make sure all the lights are lit up. If they are all the functions should be operational. At the point the lift or tilt stop working, check your BICS LED lights again, see which one is either not lit up, or if it's flashing a 2 digit code. Let me know what you find.

System activated light off, valve light off, seat bar light flashes 3 times, power light on, traction light on.

Sorry for the delay, with the arrival of Spring having busy days now, just now sitting down to my computer. All that would make sense if the seat bar light was flashing except the traction light shouldn't be on in that instance, not sure about why it's lit. But with that seat bar light flashing it won't allow the lift/tilt functions work. Flashing three times is a code for seat bar circuit short to ground. Of course it could be a faulty seat bar switch, but there's no way you can test it as it's a Hall Effect switch, it's not a typical voltage in / voltage out switch. First thing I'd do is disconnect the harness from the seat bar switch and from the BICS controller and do a continuity test and a short to ground test of the three wires. Should be a Light Blue/Red, Light Blue/Black, and Light Blue/Dark Green wires.

Wires check good.

If the wires test good then you either have a faulty seat bar sensor or you have a faulty BICS controller. And again, there's no way to test that seat bar sensor since it's a Hall Effect Switch. Bobcat techs have the tools to test them, but those diagnostic tools are only available from Bobcat. Not much more I can add here. I hope you get it sorted out.