Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I�m having a lot of trouble with my 3116 cat motor it is the…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I�m having a...
Second opinion] I�m having a lot of trouble with my 3116 cat motor it is the industrial motor in a caterpillar 953 crawler when you started up it runs fine lots of power doesn�t miss a beat within 10 minutes or so it starts to bog down and and barely stay running and then it might pick back up but then slowly work its way down to almost shut off but it never shuts off I�ve checked fuel filters I replaced put a new primer pump on it new transfer pump fuel shut off solenoid and we even went as far as putting new cups in where the injector seat I ran a clear tube from the return line when it acts up no bubbles I�ve checked the oil pressure when it acts up Oil pressure doesn�t go below 50 psi
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/11/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Once you've verified that you have no restrictions or leaks between your fuel tank and the fuel pump, check for any sediment in the filter that would indicate contamination of the fuel. Everything on the engine side checks out good, I would look deeper into a possible component failure occurring.

Dan, thank you for taking the time I want to start from the beginning the machine started acting up so we replaced fuel filters then it would run fine 20 hours or so later they would do the same thing this time when we replaced fuel filters it only ran about an hour and a half till it started acting up again we brought it back to our shop we replaced fuel filters again fuel shut off solenoid fuel transfer pump primer pump we went as far as to take the head off and replaced injector cups put it back together now it only runs about 5 to 10 minutes before bogging down to almost a shut off but it never shuts off it may pick itself back up for a few seconds but it goes right back barely staying running when it is running barely it lets little puffs of black smoke out the exhaust I have checked oil pressure I was told by my cat dealership that it could below oil pressure oil pressure stays steady at 80 psi and when it starts acting up it doesn’t go below 60 PSI I have ran a clear tube on the return line the fuel was flowing no signs of air bubbles but when it starts to act up The fuel in the return line stops running we have checked the fuel lines we have ran a new fuel line straight to a 5 gallon can of fuel still does the same thing we have drained the tank completely no sediment no dirt no algae no nothing in the tank we blew back through the tank nothing no construction’s I’m down to either a governor or injectors I’ve put over $3000 in this machine and parts and my mechanics labor I’m at a loss I don’t know where to go from here Even my local cat dealership can’t figure out what’s wrong can somebody please help

What is your engine serial number prefix? If this is full mechanical injectors I would check the fuel control rack and run through the injector synchronization to make sure that is all within specs. If so then yes it could be within the governor assembly causing your problem.

Well this whole problem started long before we took injectors out and put new cups in and is still acting the same way the only reason I didn’t replace the governor is because a couple cat mechanic said that shouldn’t be an issue that’s why am at such a loss I just don’t know where to go or what to do I mean do I replace the governor at $2000 plus labor and if that doesn’t work I replace injectors at $1600 plus labor I’m just not sure what to do Plus the over $3000 in parts and labor I have in it now that’s why I wish someone could just narrow it down to something cat can’t even figure out what’s wrong
4TF30316

Are you 100% sure that it's not something in the drive train or hydraulic system putting a load on the engine? I would check all of your pressures and monitor them to see if anything changes when the symptoms happen in comparison to when it's running properly. Also, I would check all of your filters for any signs of metal or debris inside your filters after cutting them open to inspect samples.