Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an older D20 Komatsu dozer. Neither steer lever has…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older D20 Komatsu dozer. Neither steer lever has any effect on the direction of the machines travel. I adjusted the steer brake after removing the 2 bolt cover at the right rear. Even at all the way clockwise and tight, it has no effect. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/27/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Please post the complete model with any letters or numbers after D20 as well as the machine serial number so you can be sure to get the correct information for your machine.

D20A-6. 61457.No calls, phone service really sketchy

Thanks for the updated information. No need to standby live. I will need a little bit of time to pull up some information on your machine and follow up with my responses.

Ok

The symptoms you are describing are in line with worn steering clutches and brakes. The clutches are spring pressure applied and hydraulic pressure released. Therefore, the tracks are always driving. When turning, one side gets pressure to release the clutch from driving while at the same time the brake holds it in place. When this happens, the drive side powers through to complete the turn while one track is still being held by the brake with the clutch released. Below click on the link for the steering valve. You will see the lines from the steering valve going back to the brake and clutch housing. Check for pressure to release the clutches. As you see in the diagram, there is a piston at the end push and release the clutch on each side. If the piston seals are leaking or if there is no pressure coming from the steering valve to release the clutch, the brakes will drag and wear out prematurely. Try draining the housings to see if there is any clutch friction material or brake material in the drain oil.

Click below for the steering circuit piping.

Steering piping

Click below for the steering valve.

Steering valve

Click below for the steering clutch.

Steering clutch

Click below for the steering brake.

Steering brake

It's a pleasure to help any way I can.