Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 568-2 error code on a 289D skidsteer. no movement…

Customer Question
I have a 568-2...

I have a 568-2 error code on a 289D skidsteer. no movement on either track but hydraulics Can i reset the error code.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat 289 D 2018 model not close the machine for the serial number

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hopefully it is not serious i was plowing snow and mud so sounds like something got on a sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/9/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I cannot find that code in the gen***** *****sts.

Can you please post the complete machine serial number (PIN)?

I think I found it. It is an EVENT code and a level 2 event meaning it does stop the machine. You cannot reset this code, however, once the problem is corrected, the code will not stop the machine.

Here are some details.

The events are logged when the speed of the hystat motor is faster than expected or in the opposite direction of travel. When any of the listed events are triggered, the machine will come to a stop and the parking brake will be applied. The parking brake cannot be released until power is cycled to the key start switch.

These events are primarily due to pump failures. The sensor signals for the Motor Speed, Engine Speed, and Oil Temperature are the inputs that are used to determine the difference between the actual motor speed and the motor speed that is commanded by the operator. If a significant difference is detected for a certain length of time, the machine is brought to a stop, and the appropriate EID is logged.

Causes of an Unexpected Motor Speed Event

Pump Stuck at Maximum Displacement - Motor speed will always be running at the maximum turtle gear ratio.

Motor Stuck at Minimum Displacement - Motor speed will always be running in the rabbit gear ratio. Applies to two-speed machines only.

Temperature Sensor - If there is an active diagnostic for the temperature sensor, a high temperature is assumed. The system could falsely diagnose an event if the hydraulic oil is cold (below 0 °C (32 °F)).

Motor Speed Sensor - If there is an intermittent diagnostic for the motor speed sensor, incorrect speed values could falsely diagnose an event.

Since this is just Unexpected Left Motor Forward Speed Detected, this issue is likely damaged wires to the sensor. You will need to clean the back side of the left travel motor to access the sensor and maybe slide it out for better access by removing the axle caps and pull the track frame out a little. Follow the wires from the sensor to the machine and look for damage to the harness. It is tied to the hoses but sometimes it is damaged by the hose rubbing against it.