Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 226B cat skid steer. The hydraulic controls for the…

I have a 226B cat...
I have a 226B cat skid steer. The hydraulic controls for the bucket open and close have gone haywire. How to diagnose the problem is my ?
2/8/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The auxiliary functions can be difficult to troubleshoot without the CAT ET service program. Most are operated by the auxiliary ECM and you need ET to fully test the circuits and switches.

You can test the wires from the joystick to the ECM and the wires from the ECM to the auxiliary valve section solenoids on the main control valve. Ohm test the solenoids and the wires to verify a good circuit is present. Use the attached guide to help with the testing. If you still cannot find the problem the ECM could be damaged and you will need the dealer to install a new one with the correct flash firmware.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzcFl5djhoR1UzWkU

I was hoping to upload a video of the problem, but technically difficult. In summary the bucket opens without any operator input. If the hydraulic off button is engaged during the event, the light will come on reflecting hyraulics are off, but the bucket continues to the move and the controls continue to also work, until and unless that bar in front of the seat is raised? Extremely dangerous situation, therefor. Is this a dealer repair in your estimation, or should I start by replacing say the ECM? What is CAT ET service, by the way?

You can unplug the solenoids for the auxiliary section and see if that will stop the movement. If it does, the issue is in the electronics. ECMs are way too expensive to just throw one on without troubleshooting the wiring first.

It is possible the thumb rocker is causing this and you can try unplugging the lever wires to sees if that stops the movement as well. If it does stop, then you can try a handle but, you cannot return electrical parts so it still may be an expensive test.

Where are the solenoids for the aux located exactly? Thanks for the drawing, but it is still difficult to determine where all those hydraulic controls are located on the machine. Do I need to lift the operators cab out of the way to get at them? Also, the ECM is under the footwell somewhere behind a metal cover plate? This issue may have started after cleaning the engine compartment and the machine with a pressure washer, by the way.Maybe a better question is, how do I access the aux solenoids?

Yes, the cab must be raised to access the main control valve. It is mounted to the right rear. The solenoids will be sticking straight up as the drawing shows but it may be turned slightly different from that image.

The ECM is under the floor plate but you may need to remove a joystick lower cover and the kick plate to remove the floor plate. The auxiliary ECM is on the right, the interlock ECM is on the left. (seated position facing forward)

Ok, assume I have accessed the solenoids, with the cab in the air up out of the way. How do I then start the machine and hit the thumb switch to activate the hydraulics without being in the operators seat and without killing myself when the bucket fully opens with no operator input?

Disconnect the solenoids and then lower the cab. Test run the machine from the normal operating position.

You wrote: It is possible the thumb rocker is causing this and you can try unplugging the lever wires to sees if that stops the movement as well. If it does stop, then you can try a handle. Ummn, with the thumb rocker wires removed, I'm assuming it is impossible to activate the aux hyraulics? Am I correct to assume that the thumb rocker wires are the same as the "Lever wires"? And by trying a "Handle" you mean replace the thumb rocker switch?

Yes, by disconnecting the thumb rocker wires of the joystick lever handle, you will remove the possible input of a defective thumb rocker to the ECM.

If disconnecting the rocker cause the auxiliary cylinders to stop moving on their own, then it could be a bad thumb rocker that is causing the problem and replacing the joystick handle assembly, may fix the problem.

CAT only sells the handle, you cannot by the thumb rocker.

Oh, ok, I thought the thumb rocker was the switch that turns on the hydraulics. How do I access the thumb rocker wires and how do I know which wires are for the thumb rockers (i.e. the two yellow buttons on the top of the right hand joystick)?

Do you only have two buttons on your right lever for the auxiliary controls?

To access them, remove the plastic cover under the joystick.

there is only two yellow buttons on the top of the joystick. Do I need to take the joystick apart to access the wire connectors for the yellow buttons or is it obviously connected somewhere at the base of the joystick? Thanks, ***** ***** way for all of your advice.

This is an old machine. What is your serial number?

The machine is a 2006 I believe. MJH01214It's possible there are more buttons I suppose and I'm not remembering exactly correctly. But as far as I can recall I only use two thumb rockers on the right joystick to control the hydraulics.

No, that was my mistake. Most button switch handle failed years ago. You may only be able to purchase the new thumb rocker switch handle as a replacement.

More buttons are used on high flow option machines but, that is not available on the 226B.

Once you have the bottom covers removed from the joysticks, you will see the lines and to harnesses. Lift the boot under the lever and you will see the wires that connect to the handle. The other wires are for the float detent coil and the pilot control solenoid. The handle switch wires are separate and you will easily see the connector and routing of the wires.

Ahh, so the button failure on the right joystick was a common problem on the 226B's based on your experience? I bought the machine with only maybe 250 hours on it, by the way. Now it has maybe 1,250 hours.As an aside, do you have an opinion on over the tire tracks for this machine, would it be worth the $4k to get some, or should I instead look at buying a tracked skid steer? My buddy has a Takauchi that has way more power and if I did get a tracked machine, I could maybe keep this one around to use for driving on the grass..

Yes, most were due to open cabs and salt air or bright sun. Close cabs lasted longer but, often dirty hands would cause the buttons to fail and/or stick. Since you have this old handle, it could be your problem.

I see the replacement part number as(###) ###-####

I have seen nothing but damage comes from the add on tracks. The MTL series are much better for grass work (Multi_Terrain-Loader) The CTL (Compact-Track-Loader) has heavy and more durable tracks. The 299 is now available with steel undercarriage for the worst environments.

But, don't use the MTL in rocks, it will tear them to pieces.

Is the fact that the hyraulics can still operate with the upper left hand rocker switch in the "Off" position a troubling sign (it seems this is only the case when the aux hyrdrualics are malfuncting and forward and reverse for the machine is not operating with the switch in the off position) This situation strikes me as extremely dangerous and potentially lethal. The weird thing being that the hydraulics switch off when the seat bar is raised.
Switch position #11. There is no switch in position 12 by the way.

Does the machine move and the loader bucket work without pressing the switch? It is a momentary switch, what do you mean by OFF?

No, upon machine start the light that says "P" is lit. Depressing the switch turns off the light and activates all hydraulics. Clicking the switch again turns off all hydraulics and activates the light as it should. When, however, the aux hydraulics start operating on their own with no operator input, clicking that same switch again turns on the "P" light and disables the drive wheel hydraulics but does NOT disable the aux hydraulics, which can continue to operate on thier own and/or with operator input.

I have never tried to operate one that way or had this issue. All I can say is the later versions pressing the parking brake does not turn off any of the hydraulics, it only set the brake. To turn off the hydraulics, you must raise the armrest. This is the normal operation as far as I can remember but, I can't say that your machine being different is a problem or not.

Ahh, ok, thanks a bunch for clarifying

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician