Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My cat 236d keeps shutting down in cold weather runs about 1…

Customer Question
My cat 236d keeps...

My cat 236d keeps shutting down in cold weather runs about 1 min then shuts off what should I check

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Its a 236d Catipillar serial number is *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing looking for suggestion where to start

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/7/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

How cold are we talking? Could it be icing in the fuel or fuel jelling from the cold?

Are you seeing any warnings on the display? Do you have an advanced color display?

How do you know or at what temperature does it run fine?

It's -2 right now could be not sure on the selling no warnings on display yes colors display last week in the 40 'sNo thanksOops dam spell check jelling
You still there

Sorry for the late reply, I had stepped away for a few minutes.

It has been a long time since I have been in that kind of cold weather but, in my area water can get in the tanks or condensation can be a real issue. (southern humidity) If you drain your sediment bowl on the filter and see any water, it is possible the filters are icing and restricting the flow.

I would assume your area is using No 1 diesel and this machine has burnt out any No 2 diesel by now but, if it has the old fuel, that level of cold will certainly be a problem.

If you have your owners manual, look for the display options and see if you can locate the service menu and check for logged codes. If you find any for low pressure that has recent hour meter logged, then you will know it is a fuel flow problem.

If you don't have the owners manual, let me know and I will find the instructions for you.

No manuel

I have been looking for a good pamphlet about the monitor but, I cannot find one detailed enough to be helpful.

Below is the basic information from your manual. CAT has a good video about the display at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHilzSym4i0

Avoid using any security features as they can cause you to be locked out if it is turned on.

MENUS

Menu Screen
The main menu screen is accessed from the Monitoring Screen by pressing the Soft Input Key under the Menu Screen Entry icon. The main menu screen displays the icons and descriptions of available sub menus listed below. The icons will scroll horizontally using the Soft Input Keys. The active selection is always in the center of the screen and appears larger than other inactive selections. The
sub menus are selected by pressing the rightmost Soft Input Key under the "Enter Arrow" icon.

Service Menu
The “Service Menu” is composed of several sub menus which allow the user to access valuable information about the machine. These sub menus are described below:

Diagnostics Sub Menu
The screens within this sub menu allow the user to view active (currently occurring) or logged (having occurred; may be active or no longer active) machine condition warnings.

Diagnostics & Events
Diagnostic Codes indicate that a sensor or hardware component is currently faulted (Active Diagnostic
), or has faulted previously (Logged Diagnostic) and machine functionality may be impacted.

Event Codes indicate that a sensor is detecting (Active Event), or has previously detected (Logged Event) a condition that could result in machine damage if not corrected as soon as possible.

There are three levels of Diagnostic and Event Codes indicating the relative severity of the warning. The pop-up screens will change color depending on the warning level.

Level 1 - A condition is trending in a direction that may indicate that damage could occur if the operating condition persists. There is no pop-up screen displayed for this level but the Driver Alert Indicator will illuminate continuously. The diagnostic or event code will be shown on a green background in these screens. The operator should stop the machine at the earliest convenience and investigate the cause. If no additional alert indicators are illuminated, contact your Cat dealer or refer to the service manual for more information. See "Alert Indicators".

Level 2 - A condition has been detected which could result in component damage. A yellow pop-up screen will be displayed providing information on the condition. The Driver Alert will be flashing but no cab alarm will be audible. The diagnostic or event code will be shown on a yellow background in these screens. The operator should change operation or perform the indicated maintenance being displayed. See "Alert Indicators"

Level 3 - A condition has been detected that is likely to result in severe component damage and could result in injury. A red pop-up screen will be displayed providing information on the condition. The Driver Alert will be flashing and the cab alarm will be audible. The diagnostic or event code will be shown on a red background in these screens. The operator should stop the machine immediately and perform the indicated maintenance being displayed or contact your Cat dealer. See "Alert Indicators".

Once you have retreived the code, post them here and we can work through any issues logged.