Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am working on a cat 259D serial# FTL07209. the yellow

Customer Question
I am working on...

I am working on a cat 259D serial# ***** the yellow diamond with an ! in it is flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar 259D CAT0259DAFTL07209

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just started to look at it, I'm not sure what it means

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all for now, first time for me to use this sight, so don't know what to expect

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
hello
2/5/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems with your Heavy Equipment. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

Here is the information about the Driver Alert indicator.

Driver Alert This alert indicator will activate when there is a problem which requires operator attention.

Note: Machines equipped with EU Stage V Emission Controls will also use this alert indicator to signal system failure. Refer to this Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration", "EU Stage V Emissions Control System" for applicable models and details.

Note: Other alert indicators that light or the gauges may help investigate the cause of any problems.

There are three levels of severity for the indicator:

Level 1 - If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. Check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• Ensure that the machine has been adequately warmed up. Refer to Engine Starting for an explanation of the engine and ambient conditions that may trigger this.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) - Drain.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is AMBER, the filter is bypassing. Check that the hydraulic oil filter is not plugged. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Hydraulic System Oil Filter - Replace. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• Check for proper battery voltage and ensure that the alternator and wiring are good.

Level 2 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine at the earliest convenience and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) – Drain

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the machine is equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter, move the machine to a safe location and set the parking brake. If the engine RPM begins to rise shortly, allow the machine to complete a regeneration cycle. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration.

• If the SCR Warning alert indicator is flashing RED, check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level. See Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Fill. Refer to Selective Catalytic Reduction Warning System for an explanation of the various SCR warning levels.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensor wiring is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

Level 3 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer:

• Check the engine oil. See Operation Maintenance manual , Engine Oil level - Check . If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine oil filter may be plugged. See Engine Oil and Filter - Change. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine coolant temperature may be high. Clean the engine radiator, reduce the engine load, and allow the engine to cool. For more information refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Radiator Core - Clean.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is RED, the hydraulic oil temperature is high. Check the hydraulic oil level. Refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Hydraulic System Oil Level - Check. Clean the hydraulic oil cooler, reduce the hydraulic load, and allow the system to cool. See Radiator Core - Clean.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensors is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

If you need more help with any of these alerts, please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can.