Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My brothers volvo L70d acted up this week in the cold,we had…

My brothers volvo L70d...

My brothers volvo L70d acted up this week in the cold,we had minus 25,he had it plugged in and it started fine but on the display it showed no computer function, checked fuses ,only found light fuses out ,replaced them ,swapped relays, checked wiring on ignition switch, they were twisted from switch turning, unwound them and pulled on them to make sure they werent broken,tested switch all had power but one and that energized in the start position, we have 5 volvo loaders at my work but no 70s or d series

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thats fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a fuse for ecu other than the one on the circuit board behind the seat

3 days later itwarmed up to 36 degrees and no change,it had been working fine upuntill the cold up to the weather
2/4/2019
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 3 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic

hi my name is***** the instrument cluster is saying no computer function correct? Will it start or go into gear?

Here is the schematic for the power feed to the ecu's look at fuse 15 and 17 and change out re11 with new relay.

Also with that cold it would not be unheard of to have the circuit board fail a component on the ecu and thus you will need to change the ecu. Make sure the power and grounds are there and then if so you will need to exchange ecu as those models come programmed. On the l90d I have had issues with the DA8 pin which is a ground and thus by supplying a ground connection there it allowed computer to function.

check diode 32 as well for re11

Not near the machine right now. Where will I find diiode 32

It will be soldered into the circuit board near re11. SO if you look at schematic you will see da 8 is the ground for relay 11 and controlled by IECU. SO if you have voltage on that wire to IECU then I suspect diode is bad or ecu is faulty. I would remove the wire from da8 and supply my own ground to the re11 and see if that get its running. You can solder a new diode in but will need to remove board.

Have power to fuse 17 which means relay 11 is powered up and has ground which terminals at computer are power and ground should red led be lit up

I'm not sure what you mean by red led being powered. If you are referring to the vecu led then yes it should flash. I think your asking for power connections to V-ecu. That schematic is the feeds to ecus as the red and white are the power feed in and the blacks or SB is your ground. Make sure the main ground lug by parking brake is in good condition as I have seen a poor ground there and the terminals corrode or come loose from spade connectors. Also remove the plugs on circuit board and computer looking for corrosion.

I am referring to the led on the v ecu t is not flashing

Okay then next step is to verify the computer is getting power, Do you know you can bypass computer to move machine? See if there is power and ground at connections using the schematic.

Put loader in bypass mode took computer out .opened up had slight burn smell. Does any body repair these computers .salvage yard said can't keep on hand.lots of demand

Hi thanks for that info, I have resoldered the diodes before but i don't know of anyone offhand that does. Your could check with local electronics lab to see if they could troubleshoot and repair the board.

dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic