Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My bobcat right coupling pin is not going far enough down to…

Customer Question
My bobcat right...

My bobcat right coupling pin is not going far enough down to hold my tree shear in place. The left side locks in well and I can see about @/2 inch beneath the hookup area.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat S650. A 2012 moder. I do not know the serial number because the unit is at my ranch 285 miles from here.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, but thank you for asking.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
1/31/2019
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Does your coupler have manual levers to latch/unlatch coupler pins or does it have the power bobtach cylinder that operates the coupler pins?

The more I think about it that's not really necessary for me to know at first, but would be good to know. The most common problem with those latch pins is lack of lubrication. Whether you have manual lever latches or power bob-tach (both have hand levers), when you "latch" the pins, the roll pin (item #16) should bottom out against the top of the pin boss that the latch pins are fitted in. If it doesn't, something is obstructing the roll pin, I've seen rocks and stones get in there and obstruct the roll pin and keep the latch mechanism from fully depressing the latch pin, or you have a latch pin that is sticking from lack of lubrication. There's a grease fitting on each side of the coupler (item #15) to lubricate the latch pins. But if you're in the pin sticking problem area, before you shoot grease into the grease fitting, instead use plenty of spray lube like WD-40. Apply spray lube generously to the pin just below the roll pin #16. Work the latch pin in and out numerous cycles while applying spray lube, flush the crap out that's making that pin stick. Once you get it working freely and fully start pumping grease into the grease fitting while working the latch pin in/out. Let me know if this doesn't sort out your problem. BTW, next time you're at the machine at the ranch jot down and note that machine serial number, there's some parts that are specific to serial number if you need assistance on those such parts.