Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat 938H SN mjc0029 complaint cust states while running the…

Customer Question
Cat 938H SN mjc0029 complaint...
Cat 938H SN mjc0029 complaint cust states while running the unit operator with apply the brakes useing the left pedel far let trans neteuilizer and down shift anyhow after he lets off the pedel he states the brakes stay on and if he just taps the pedel it releeases pedelis are clean and moveing as they should . the lite on dash states trean netruilizer is disabled i tried to enableit but nothing changes . active code 296-9 trans control abnormal update logged codes 796-14 trans control special instruc 811-9 which i could not find in CBT you thoughts
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
This question is for cat master tech
1/24/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey Mark,

Did you try installing a gauge on the brake pressure test port to confirm the brake pressure is sticking?

Which ECM is reporting the 296-9 data link code? Engine MID? I am guessing as the monitor would likely give a second code, 248-9. This could be a bad wire in the CDL link from the engine to the transmission.

If software was updated on any of the ECMs, they all may need updating. (So CAT has said in the past.)

The 811 -9 code appears in the monitor and is a software number issue.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the Transmission ECM does not receive expected information from the dash panel Instrument cluster for more than 5 seconds.

Test Step 1. VERIFY THE HARDWARE AND THE SOFTWARE PART NUMBERS.

Verify that the following information is correct:
The part number of the flash software for the Transmission ECM
The part number of the flash software for the dash panel cluster
The part number of the Transmission ECM
The part number of the dash panel cluster

I don't find the 796 code at all for wheel loaders and sometimes a -14 code is also software.

The serial number is ***** complete, do you have the rest of it? Did you download a product status report or an ECM summary?

Does it have special features that have been damaged? Product Link Elite or payload system? If an expected ECM does not function, it can cause strange codes and not tell you why as that ECM is offline.

The monitor is showing 269Mjc01029

PRODUCT - ENTIRE GROUP (MJC01029)

NPRNoteSerial No.Part No.Part Name

NPRY237-7545GENERAL AR

NPRY317-9487OPTION AR-LIGHTING

NPRY267-3501GUARD GP-POWER TRAIN

NPRY284-4739RADIO GP

NPRY317-4532ELECTRONICS GP-MONITOR

NPRY317-8363CONFIGURATION AR

NPRY257-5665CONTROL GP-PILOT OPERATED HYD

NPRY264-1338TIRE & RIM AR

NPRY318-9715CONVERSION AR-MACHINE

NPRY317-9482OPTION AR-CAB

NPRY317-9486COLD WEATHER AR

(N/A)C6E250431000ENGINE

(N/A)HCZ012793000TRANSMISSION & DRIVE LINE

(N/A)T8K030603100TC, TD, RETARDER

ENGINE(###) ###-####FLS (1.56 MB)

Messenger(###) ###-####FLS (1.77 MB)

POWERTRAIN(###) ###-####FLS (1.64 MB)

Product Link(###) ###-####(Mar-2017 update if still ususing PL300)

I would check all th efiles and update as needed. I would still flash the Messenger just to see if it had been corrupted.

If the code still comes back active, then test the CDL data link wiring.

CAT has the Service Magazine about flashing.

Procedure to Flash Program the ECM
Note: Before flashing any ECM, ensure that the transmission direction switch is in the neutral position. Ensure both the implement lockout and parking brake switches are in the locked position. Turn key start switch to the ON position. Wait a full 2 minutes to allow all ECMs to initialize communications.

Connect the Data Link cable between Comm Adapter III and machine service port.
Connect the USB PC connector cable between Comm Adapter III and laptop.
Start Cat ET.
Verify that the correct Cat ET preferences are selected for Comm Adapter III.
Note: To verify that Cat ET preferences are correct for the Comm Adapter III. Navigate to Utilities>Preferences>Modify. Under the "Communications" tab, select "Caterpillar Comm Adapter 3(RP 1210)" from the drop-down box. Ensure the "Enable Dual Data Link Service" box is selected.

Connect to Cat ET.
Run Product Status Report (PSR).
Copy the ECM Replacement Files for all ECMs.
Take note of any active diagnostic codes, and clear logged diagnostic codes.
Connect to WinFlash.
Determine which ECM is to be flashed, and then load flash file.
Note: If flashing multiple ECMs, take note if a specific order is to be followed.

Verify that flash file is correct for the specific ECM, and then begin flash.
Once complete, return to Cat ET.
Run the post-flash Product Status Report.
Before powering down, perform all calibrations, clock sync etc. Allow machine to operate for at least 10 minutes to allow new parameters to be accepted.
After powering down the machine, wait 3 minutes before cycling the machine to the ON or START/RUN state. Waiting 3 minutes provides the ECM(s) time to shut down.

Also, a note that your Comm Adapter must be up to date with current firmware to flash messenger. It is a 2011 letter so, it is likely your is already current.

New Firmware Is Now Available for Communications Adapter 3 {7610, 7620}
SMCS - 7610; 7620
Caterpillar Products:
All
New software is now available for flashing Messenger displays and other controllers that use the Communications Adapter 3.

Download and use latest version of CA 3 software from website, dealer.cat.com/catet. Go to the downloads section and download the CA3 firmware.

If you have the CA3 tool kit loaded (under Programs - Caterpillar Comm Adapters) on your PC, do not download anything else to flash the CA3.

If you do not have the CA3 tool kit on your PC, download the CA3 tool kit. Install the kit on your PC. Launch the kit and follow the dialog boxes to flash the new firmware on your CA3.

New version is 1.16.44. Report any failure to your Technical Communicator.

Thanks, Don

CATMASTERTECH