Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Quick disconnect for the bucket will not function.

Quick disconnect for the...

Quick disconnect for the bucket will not function

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar 906h

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes checked fuses all are good. there is no power at any of the poles on the switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

1/19/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I will need to know the complete machine serial number to help you with this problem. Many options have been offered on these machines.

Do you know if this coupler was factory installed or dealer installed?

The coupler itself may have a serial number on it too. See if the tag is still on it and record the complete serial number for it. It may also only have a part number tag, this depends on the year it was made.

Serial numbers on attachments has just been in the past few years.

Cat906H
Serial# *****
It was factory installed there are no numbers on than attachment that I can seeIt is the skid steer style coupler
I also just learned after hooking up the plow I don’t have auxiliary hydraulics at the thumb control!!!

Thanks, ***** ***** the serial number is ***** SDH00954, you had the engine number posted.

It shows the coupler as a part number 257-4023

I will need to dig into this and verify the source of power to the switch and coupler.

I will also look into the thumb.

If you have a programmable monitor, you may have some On/OFF functions in there too.

Ok thank you. I wonder if I hit a switch somewhere that I am not aware of. I have only had this machine for about a month. Everything worked as it should yesterday. Are there any switches I could have switched by accident and shut the power off somehow?
Thank you

I have researched all the manuals for this machine and I am surprised to say the monitor does not have any diagnostic features the larger machines have.

I assume you know the auxiliary controls must work for the coupler to work. You do not have a switch to turn this on or off, it must be enabled when the attachment is installed. If it worked once, it should continue to work. Below are the operation details I found for this setup. It is how the 3rd function is used and may be helpful to understand the operation for proper use.

3rd Function Thumb Wheel (Optional)

The 3rd Function Thumb Wheel feature provides the operator a means to control the hydraulic oil flow to a tool attached to the front of the machine. Examples of commonly used work tools are multipurpose buckets, brooms, grapple buckets, etc.

The joystick thumb wheel position determines the direction and rate of hydraulic flow to the 3rd function work tool.

In order to use the 3rd function feature, it must be enabled. This is done via a programmable parameter in ET.

Note: The Implement Lockout Control feature must be installed in order to enable the use of the 3rd Function Thumb Wheel feature.

3rd Function Flow Control Mode: The Flow Control feature allows the operator to select either the proportional or the continuous flow control modes. Proportional control will allow the operator to command the flow with the use of the thumb wheel on the joystick. Continuous mode will allow the operator to hold the requested flow command.

Operator Control – Proportional Mode: Moving the thumb wheel to increase the duty cycle will actuate the 3rd function forward solenoid while moving the thumb wheel to decrease the duty cycle will actuate the 3rd function forward solenoid.

Operator Control – Continuous Mode: The Continuous Flow Control feature allows the operator to continuously operate the auxiliary hydraulic circuit without needing to hold the joystick thumb wheel at a constant deflection. This feature will be used with tools such as a broom or an auger.

When the continuous flow status indicates ON, it will provide a command output of the set value, until the thumb wheel is moved away from neutral position or the continuous flow switch is depressed again. When the continuous flow mode is active, the continuous flow lamp on the instrument cluster will be illuminated.

Note: The 3rd Function Control feature must be installed in order to enable the use of the optional Continuous Flow Mode.

Activation: The continuous flow can be activated through the continuous flow switch. Press then release the continuous flow switch within 2 seconds and return the thumb wheel to the center position within 1 second. The following steps must be followed in order to activate the continuous flow feature.

1. Set the thumb wheel at any position in the 3rd function FORWARD or REARWARD direction. (Continuous flow is bi-directional)

2. Press the continuous flow switch.

Completing the above procedure would change the flow from the proportional flow mode to the continuous flow mode.

Termination: Once the continuous flow mode is active, it will be terminated if:

1. The continuous flow switch is not released within 2 seconds. This indicates a stuck switch.

2. The thumb wheel is not returned to the neutral position within 1 second.

3. De-energizing the implement pilot supply solenoid valve will terminate the feature.

4. Actuating the thumb wheel input away from the NEUTRAL position by 20%.

5. Actuating the continuous flow control switch to the proportional position.

Vertical Quick Coupler Control (Optional)

Note: The work tool quick disconnect couplings must be disengaged before using the vertical quick coupler. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, SEBU8028, "Work Tool Coupler Operation" for further details.

Note: To prevent accidental operation, the quick coupler switch has a center detent position with a lock.

Note: The 3rd Function Control feature must be installed in order to enable the use of the optional Vertical Quick Coupler Control.

The Vertical Quick Coupler Control feature operates the coupler pins in order to change work tools.

To engage the coupler pins, close the quick coupler switch. When the switch is operated with the coupler pins retracted, the machine controller energizes the coupler diverter valve solenoid and commands the proportional 3rd function reverse solenoid to 100%. This directs hydraulic flow in order to close the coupler pins.

The operator controls the duration of engagement and disengagement of the quick coupler by the use of the quick coupler switch.

When the switch is in the NEUTRAL position, the quick coupler is off. The lock must be moved in order to move the switch away from the OFF/NEUTRAL position.

Requirements to activate the Quick Coupler:

1 - No diagnostics are set for the coupler solenoid or the desired auxiliary function solenoid.

2 - No diagnostics are set for the coupler switch.

3 - The auxiliary circuit must not be operating. There is no command for the auxiliary.

4 - The 3rd function control must be in the NEUTRAL or ZERO position.

5 - The Implements should be enabled (not locked out).

Other Requirements:

1 - If the coupler is active, and the 3rd function control is moved out of the CENTER position, the coupler will remain active. The coupler is not overridden by the 3rd function control.

2 - If the coupler switch is moved to the OFF position when the coupler is active and the 3rd function control is not in the NEUTRAL position, the 3rd function control must return to NEUTRAL before allowing normal proportional 3rd function control.

Requirements for deactivation:

1 - The quick coupler must be deactivated before control is returned to 3rd function auxiliary function.

2 - The lever must meet or cross-center for activation of the auxiliary function.

Boost Flow Control (Optional)

Note: The Boost Flow system only increases flow to the primary auxiliary circuit in the forward direction.

Note: The 3rd Function Control feature must be installed in order to enable the use of the optional Boost Flow Control.

The purpose of this feature is to divert flow from an optional, high flow pump into the 3rd function (primary auxiliary) circuit, when commanded by the operator. The operator command is indicated by a high (greater than 80%) forward deflection of the thumb wheel, providing the boost flow to the 3rd function. The ECM energizes the boost flow solenoid and the bypass relay.

The high flow pump also supplies flow to the secondary auxiliary circuit. When the "3/4" switch is pressed, a relay-controlled switch input to the ECM is closed; the ECM responds by de-energizing the bypass relay, directing flow from the high flow pump to the secondary auxiliary circuit.

Note: The Boost Flow feature is enabled only when a high flow capable tool is attached to the machine. When a high flow tool is attached, the High Flow Interlock switch input to the ECM contact J1-32 will be connected to ground.

Continuous Flow during Boost Flow

Continuous flow can be activated even when Boost Flow is active.

I also went through the schematics, The quick coupler switch and the quicker coupler solenoid is connected to the machine ECM. Since the monitor does not function with these, the only way to determine the issue is to have CAT ET program connected to the machine for troubleshooting.

I have also reviewed the troubleshooting manual and the only way to correct or configure this machine is with CAT ET.

If you cannot find any active faults or warnings shown on the monitor and address them first, then the only option is to have a technician with CAT ET troubleshoot this problem.

I am sorry, I don't see any way you could have caused this or correct it without CAT ET.

If you find something damaged to the solenoid or wiring and make repairs, maybe then the system will begin working. I will be glad to help you with anything you find or if you have other questions, feel free to ask me for help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Ok that is what I was afraid of. Thank you for you time and effort

You're welcome. I too wish we could have better access to some of these low-cost machines. To me, everyone should always have access to the fault codes occur on any device, machine or car and not need special tooling to view it. Having detailed troubleshooting should be left to technicians who understand the operation of the systems but it still should be the owner's decision on who makes the needed repairs.