Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a CAT 311B with 3170 hours. Serial 6LK18461. I have…

Customer Question
I have a CAT 311B...
I have a CAT 311B with 3170 hours. Serial 6LK18461. I have had the machine for about a month and when the machine is under any load other than just walking, the engine strains and bogs down just a little. Black smoke billows from the exhaust stack. Could this be something hydraulic. Once I bought the machine, I immediately changed the hydraulic fluid and all the hydraulic filters. The boom and stick cylinders where repacked. I used the bulk fluid from tractor supply. Is there something in the Hydraulic’s that could be wrong? I thought it was starving for fuel. I had my local diesel shop test it. The fuel supply pump pressure was low, they changed the supply pump. It didn’t fix my problem.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/19/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems with your Heavy Equipment. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

Have you tried it with the backup mode switch on?

It looks like it is smoking a lot, is it burning much oil?

You can have the PRV solenoid calibrated but, you will need pressure gauges and access through the monitor to perform this task.

I have this stored code. 4103 PRV circuit is open.

That is likely the cause of the problem.

Have you tested the circuit?

Do you have the manual?

BTW, the serial number is ***** engine. Do you have the machine serial number?

That comes back to the A model. Which monitor do you have? The push buttons on the bottom or the ones on the sides?

Machine says this on the tagPIN 8HT001143 Arrangement(###) ###-####Serial 6LK18461 Arrangement(###) ###-####

Ok, great. That is a B model but, it looks like a grey market import. I cannot say the US manual will be completely accurate to this version.

Have you tested the circuit?

Do you have any manuals?

I have the complete SIS system on my shop computer. I have not tested the circuit. I don’t even know where the PRV. What can I search for on my SIS to give me exact instructions to test the circuit?

Awesome! The PRV is on the pilot manifold. I believe it is in the pump compartment. (US versions)

I am using an 8GR serial number as a reference for your machine.

Find the section for the service code - 4103

Testing and Adjusting

308B, 311B, 312B, 315B, 317B, 318B, 320B, 322B, 325B, 330B, M325B and W330B Excavators Engine and Pump Control

Media Number -RENR1998-06 Publication Date -01/10/2004 Date Updated -06/10/2004

Check Open Circuit at Proportional Reducing Valve - Troubleshoot - 4103

Did you print out the flow chart to follow?

It tells you exactly how to test the circuit.

The problem is finding the correct connector. It refers to a troubleshooting schematic and not the actual schematic.

Try referencing the Check Short Circuit of Proportional Reducing Valve to Battery Voltage - Troubleshoot section, it has the schematic with it.

You can then go back to the CAT schematic using the wire numbers and find the correct path. However, this may not be accurate since it is grey market.

Ok I’ll try to text it tomorrow.

Ok, keep me posted or let me know if you need further help.

Thanks, Don