Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

The 277b cat skid steer bucket slowed then stopped then

The 277b cat skid...

The 277b cat skid steer bucket slowed then stopped then within one minute the drive controls quit, I shut it off checked the fluids gave it a rest then restarted the safety arm light and the park light flashed one then the other for minutes but nothing would move, i shut off and restarted same results ... then the bucket started working but no drive and the safety belt light stayed on and the parking light only came on when I first tried to start it, then it acted like a low battery, I took it home and charged it it still acted like a low battery we had the starter tested and it failed so we bought a new starter the machine still acted like a low battery, we jumped the starter now it starts on its own again but still will not move. I replaced the left control cylinoid it made no difference, we got a schematic for the park control cylinoid but it is not there and we can not find it. We looked for a hydrolic release so we could load it but could not find one so we dragged it up on the trailer so we could get it home to clean it so we could get a better look... still can not find the park brake cylinoid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

277b CAT 0277BTMDHO4627

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, the machine used to have a/c I removed all parts that were already cut loose, I did not cut any wires

1/2/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The park brake solenoid is located under the cab, behind the left joystick mounted to the left side of the machine frame.

The flashing indicators are signals for a fault in the interlock control system (ECM). Are you still seeing a flashing light?

No just the normal all lights on then only the safety bar...when you say left do you mean outside looking in?..because the schematic shows the park break on the right, but the a/c was

Yes, views are from the operator seated position.

Did you try tracing the oil hoses from the solenoid to the motor? That should prove it is the correct part.

Also, did you check the wire colors and numbers to match the information on the schematic?

( I use the schematic wires to verify the item I am looking for.) This should have A958 White wire and G969 Yellow wire.

There is a pump in the middle, yellow with a black pump on the end of it then on the left there is a pump that has two solenoids hooked up to it..I tried following lines from the center pump but could not find the part that resembles the solenoid with a block that had three places for hose hooks up...it appears that the block bolts to the side wall of the skid steer

Let me check through the current parts book to find the solenoid. It could be different for your serial number.

To troubleshoot this repair properly, follow this attached guide. This will help you find the problem without throwing parts at it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzOFVHa3QyTjVLd0E

If you need more help with this. please let me know.

no, after the system check for all lights it goes to safety bar light onlydo you consider the left as you are looking at the machine from a front view?

Are you saying the safety bar (Armrest) light will flash when you try to move the machine?

All views are from the operator (operating in the seat and facing forward) view.

This is common for all CAT machines and most other brands too for a safe and common reference point.

no it stays on even with the bar down me sitting in the seat, and only the bucket moves...but not always,sometimes i need to push the button directly above the park light button several times to get the bucket to movethat looks like the part but it would not have been able to be on that side because the a/c system was there, I can not find that part anywhereIt appears that the park block solenoid line goes up to the right implement control joystick... there is a solenoid at that location too... and I think that one is working intermediately

Have you tried following the instructions I sent you for troubleshooting?

not yet it is too late and I am miles from the machine

That procedure will test the system and lead you to the issue. It is how I find problems when I am called out to one with this issue.

ok, I will give it a try... but without being able to find the parking solenoid I will not be able to test it

The small tube is the one going to a tee fitting in the floor. The brake release hoses connect there and run out to the final drives.

The large steel tube goes to the return manifold in the bottom of the machine. The hose at the solenoid is from the pump for pressure.

In the parts picture.

Item 1 is the supply hose.

Item 2 is the return tube.

Item 3 is the tube for release pressure to the brake lines.

Are you getting the pictures I am sending? I am not getting confirmation on this end.

The solenoid could be below the A/C box. You can remove four screws from the outside and the box will move out of the way slightly for better access.

Confirm you have the correct solenoid by inspecting the wires color and numbers to match the schematic.

I will be available again tomorrow night if you need more help.

I removed all A/c components....no park break. Shouldn't the park brake be on when you first start machine?

The brake is spring applied and remains applied until the solenoid is turn on and send release pressure to the brakes piston.

The confusing thing to me is your armrest light is on. If you have a brake issue the park light should flash.

Use the guide to find the root cause of this problem first. It will save your money for the items you need to replace.

Park light comes on at first with all lights then goes off but arm safety light stays on ..even if I bypass safety switch as a check..the park light should be on....that also dies not explain why the bucket only works sometimes

Ok, let us fix one problem at a time. If you still have the work tool problem later we can address that too.

Just giving as much info as I can....I will follow your trouble shooting advise tomorrow, thank

Ok, thanks. I will be looking for your reply. If you have a problem following the guide.

Post the results of the test you completed and where you are having trouble. I will be glad to help as much as I can.