Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat el 200 engine chokes off when cylinders bottom out. EL…

Cat el 200 B...

Cat el 200 B engine chokes off when cylinders bottom out.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

EL 200 B

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

SN 2408. 5EG 00205

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes my self. Replace priority valve

Text me ***********

Still no response
Answered in 2 days by:
12/21/2018
Mechanic: Ulyana-mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Ulyana-mod
Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am the category moderator. I apologize for the wait. I wanted to reach out to see if you still need assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel. Thank you! Ulyana~Moderator
I’m still in need of assistance
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions and like most places, this is a busy time for everyone. (Please ignore the phone call option, I do not have that service set up.)

Did you check for power to the PRV solenoid?

Have you tried the backup switch? Does it change the operation of the machine?

Do you have a multi-meter and pressure gauges?

I have pulsating current going to valve. I put 12 volts directly to valve with no change in operation. The switch doesn’t change anything either. Yes I have multi meters and pressure gauges

The voltage to the PRV doesn't change when changing the position of the backup switch?

What colors are the wires to the PRV?

Voltage to the PRV is Pulse Width Modulated from the ECM. However, in backup mode, the voltage is from a resistor and should be constant.

The voltage from the ECM travels to the PRV on a green wire with a yellow stripe (V+) Return voltage is on a green wire with a white stripe (V-).

The solenoid is energized and moves the valve spool in proportion to the current through the solenoid. As current increases, signal oil to the pump regulators increases.

As this PRV pressure increases, pump power decreases. 12 volts is too low of a voltage to open the solenoid and the pump will remain in high power mode. Test PRV pressures and you may find they are low.

Ok so it should have 24 voltsWhere is the ECM right beside the seat?Ok PWM I got it do you have a wiring diagram

No, it will not be a full 24 volts. The voltage passes through the backup resistor first so it could be closer to 20 volts.

Yes, that box behind the seat on the left is the ECM (Controller) Have you not looked at the "watchdog" lights? They indicate the operation of the unit. (It is more logic controller than ECM.)

Yes, I have a diagram and access to manuals.

Ok I will check lights.

Great, I will be looking for your reply.

It may be after the first of the year I’ve got some vacation I need to use. Will that be a problem

The question may go dead by then. If it does you can close this and just create a new question. Ask for me in the opening and we can continue working then. (CATMASTERTECH)

Thanks I promised my son we would go hunting this week. Merry Christmas

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you too!

Still to late to reopen question?

Looks like the link is working. Where do we stand currently?

Happy New Year sorry I’m late we just finished picking soybeans in eastern NC. It’s been wet! I removed the top cover for the ECM but don’t see any lights. Which way now?

Did you flip the backup switch to see if the lights will come on?

didn’t see any lights at all only Sw1 and Sw2Top cover

Yes, the switches are used to perform some test and calibrations. The lights should come on when the key is on and the backup mode switch is off.

I would want to verify power going to at least the backup switch as you can run this machine in the backup mode without any problems.

Have you checked for power at all the fuses?

Ok will check tomorrow. I have cleaned fuse panel and replaced all fuses.will check current tomorrow

It appears the radio fuse is also for the backup circuit. (weird?) It travels from the fuse panel on a red wire with white stripe to the backup resistor then a green wire to the backup switch terminal 3 in backup mode, current wire travel across the switch and out terminal 2 on a green wire with a yellow stripe to the PRV solenoid in the pump compartment. (tall solenoid). The circuit must return to the ground on the green wire with white stripe and travels back to the backup switch to terminal 5 which when the switch is in backup mode is connected to ground at terminal 6 with a black wire grounded to the frame.

Attached is a fuse panel image.

Thanks

You're welcome, glad I could help.

I’ll check ASAP I work on a farm John Deere first, tractor trailers second everything else in between. Excavator when I get to itMay call you tomorrow

I am sorry, I am not set up for phone calls. The site pops up that flag and I cannot block it. If you must speak to someone, I will drop the question so others can help you.

Let me check your diagrams and previous information. Many thanks!I’ll be in touch

Sure, no problem. I will be glad to help.

I’m back on excavator again I can’t seem to find the lights you described on controller.I found them L1 is red L7,andL4 green L6 flashes green.
Do I need to reopen question or give credit card number again?

Thanks for the update. no need to open a new question as this is still related to the PRV solenoid as we started troubleshooting.

You will need to test the solenoid by checking the ohms first. Connect to the solenoid, a good solenoid will read 27 to 40 ohms.

Next, connect the harness at the solenoid and then disconnect the connector at the controller. At terminal 9 and 19, you should read within one ohm of the same reading of the solenoid. If not, flip the backup switch off and see if the reading is correct. If both readings are open (OL) then the circuit needs repair. terminal 9 wire is green and terminal 19 wire is blue. These wires go to the backup switch.

The wires from the switch to the solenoid are green with yellow stripe and green with white stripe. See the attached image for a simple diagram.

Ok will check tomorrow. Thanks

You're welcome.

I think I got it. Broken wires and bad connecting pins on controllerMachine acts more powerful when the switch is up? But will not stall the engine in any position. Just got to get temp gauge workingThis is only the second time I have used this site. Thanks for the help I’ll probably be contacting you again. Do I need to rate you or issue another card number. I want to make sure you are compensated.Thanks
Bran***** *****.

Yes, rating my answer will complete the chat and close the question. That is how we get our part of the payment.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

Just post a new question with my name in the opening and I should see it others will leave it alone unless you need immediate help.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Ok I tried the tip option, but I think I’m using a different card? Where to now?

I don't know much about the payment side. You may need to contact customer support for help.

I will

Thanks, ***** ***** greatly appreciated.