Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a JD 5300. Is the hydralic Oil through the transmission…

Have a JD 5300...

Have a JD 5300. Is the hydralic Oil through the transmission and rear end also. Or do they have separate compartments.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

If the compartments are separate, where do I check them

12/15/2018
Mechanic: Peter Klijn,
 replied 3 years ago
Peter Klijn

Hi, My names Pete I'm Just looking into your question and will be with you in just a few moments.

Mechanic: Peter Klijn,
 replied 3 years ago

So this tractor has one Hydraulic sump. one chamber to hold hydraulic oil that supplies all the hydraulic oil for the tractor. this includes steering transmission and aux functions ie loader or rear scvs. This tractor should have two separate filters one for the transmission and one for the rest of the hydraulics. The capacity should be approx 11 gallons.

I hope this answered your question, please let me know if you need any more information.

thanks!

Peter Klijn
Thanks Peter for your response. The tractor just started a hi pitch sound that comes and goes when running. Sound goes away at an idol. Actually sounds like it is coming from clutch area. I know this has got to be hard to make a suggestion without being and seeing the tractor. Any suggestions? I have not run the tractor except to listen to it./
Mechanic: Peter Klijn,
 replied 3 years ago

these units are known for Hydraulic wine noises from lines rubbing (harmonics of two steel lines touching) i would recommend running the tractor at the speed where the noise can be heard and using a pry bar to gently pry apart or make steel lines under and behind unit more rigid to see if you can isolate. where the problem is.

if the unit has a power reverser (forward reverse lever left side of steering wheel that changes direction of tractor without clutch) then the unit has a wet traction clutch and is unlikely the problem. If you need to change forward and reverse with the clutch and gear leaver, it possibly has a dry clutch and could have an issue in there.

hope this helps and thanks for the rating!

Dry clutch, I will investigate more. Thanks again.
Mechanic: Peter Klijn,
 replied 3 years ago

Ok Best of luck!

Will view it by 11 am, thanks
Mechanic: Peter Klijn,
 replied 3 years ago

No worries best of luck!