Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have no power to starter solenoid. 314d excavator. If I use…

Have no power to...

Have no power to starter solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

314d excavator

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

If I use jumper cables to power red wire, it will start. changed 120 amp relay and that didn't fix it either

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Theres a 60 amp one. is that the one I need to change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

It gets signal from key, but with no power to red wire it wont start

12/14/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

What is the make and the serial number of this machine?

What is the number on the red wire and to what does it connect?

Do you have a multimeter? Did you test the relays or breakers before replacing them?

What are you seeing "signal from the key" connected to? What is the number and color of this wire?

314 d excavator. no number just one red and one white on bottom terminals, get signal from ignition switch

314d *cat0314dpsszoo624

Do you have the part number of the item you installed?

mx breaker

I only see red wires connected to that breaker. Did you say it had a white wire on it too?

What is the color and wire number of the wire that is getting the signal from the keyswitch?

Is it connected to the same item you are referring to with the white wire?

on the solenoid, has one red and one white, when I hook jumper cables to battery and the post with the red wire it will start. what powers that wire?

Which solenoid? The one on the starter motor?

its a small yellow wireunder the cab under the door

If you are describing the start relay, the red wire is marked 109.

It goes to a terminal post with a total of three red wires and they are all marked 109.

One of these wires connects to the 60 amp alternator breaker and is on the single wire side of the breaker.

ok I changed the 120 amp breaker I will change the 60 amp one in the morning.

One of the other red wires on the three wire terminal post is going to the alternator.

I suspect you have a damaged wire to the alternator or a bad alternator. Not a bad breaker.

ok I will check that out also. put new batterys in it yesterday also.

Disconnect the wire to the alternator and then push the button on the 60 amp breaker to see if it will reset and hold to allow cranking.

If it does, then the issue is the alternator. If not, then the short is on the other wire to the start relay.

It could also be a short on the wire from the breaker to the terminal post shorting out as well. A voltmeter can help you see which wire is short to frame by using the ohmmeter function.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
10-4 thanks for the help.

You're welcome!