Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I bought a Volvo mini digger ECR48C and when I do the bucket…

I bought a Volvo mini...
I bought a Volvo mini digger ECR48C and when I do the bucket cylinder contract function, the engine really struggles. It doesn't when I dig a scoop. However, the bucket and dipper arm circuits get hot after about 30 min of real work. Pressure is supposedly good.I wanted to clean out the Compensator piston or anything on the main control valve related to bucket and dipper arm cylinder.Do I have to take the whole main cylinder off to do this? The repair manual says to turn on the key and move the joystick to release the pressure but when the machine is off, the joystick does nothing. With the machine off.. can I open the allen fitting on the main control valve? Is it under pressure? I can't seem to get it off. Do I need to take off the hydraulic hoses from the main control cylinder first? Are they under pressure too when the machine is off? My machine is in Louisiana and I'm trying to do it myself because of the distance and cost in taking it to a dealer. Farm use.
12/14/2018
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 3 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic

Hello this is Dan. Well lots of questions but first start with relieving the pressure. So if after shutting machine off and then placing the key back to run position and the safety lever down you can then move the joysticks to stroke the spools to relieve pressure on circuit. Now your doing this with the help of a small servo accumulator mounted in the machine but if the accumulator is faulty it will not function. So next is to place the machine lightly in a position that when removing the lines or valve components the implement cannot move. either brace or place to that standard. The allen plugs can be very tight and hoses if stiff normally mean pressure is there. Make sure you wear protective equipment so you don't get in you eyes or skin. Heat indicates a leakage or restriction of the circuit and a place to look. Look inside the hydraulic tank filter for debris to indicate component failure. I would check the relief valves and verify the pressure not assume they are okay.

dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Thank you I'll give that a try. I think I was not doing the pressure relief process in the correct sequence. I'll be able to try it this weekend.