Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My customer has a CAT 259 skid steer. They were compressing…

My customer has a...

My customer has a CAT 259 B skid steer. They were compressing garbage with the bucket now the left track is locked and a check light is blinking. Is there a way to access the code without a scan tool?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1998 Cat 259 B skid Steer not a truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

OK

12/6/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** you get this resolved since your post? If not let me know and I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc.. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

No I didn't get this resolved yes let's proceed.

Thanks for the update and sorry for the delay as professionals or users of the site like yourself. I help on here in between jobs and as time allows. On the B series cat skid steers unless you have the optional digital display you will not be able to access fault codes without using Caterpillar ET software on a laptop.

Cat ET software and was told that's not compatible with that skid steer. Is that not correct?

Now the chain of events you described were there any unusual noises like potentially anything mechanical that might've failed? I would check if something is wedged binding the track from driving in between the drive motor and track drive. If not then I would check inside the hydraulic filter for signs of metal or debris that would indicate a possible failure of the drive motor itself. Run through the other functions and see if any other functions are affected or if it's just this one.

If it is a B series then it is compatible. I was field service for cat or going independent. The B series has two ECM's. It has an interlock ECM and the machine ECM .The newer C-Series has a single ECM

When they try engaging the track for travel on that side is the engine bogging down under a load like it is trying to function?

If you can hear the hydraulics trying to work in the engine pulls under a load when trying to run that track then it's an indication that the function is trying to work and likely getting hydraulic pressure. If that is the case then I would look for something that might of got jammed causing the drive motor not to be able to turn freely. I would start there and follow up with me. We can follow up as needed.Once you have all the information you need, Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Okay so you're saying the ET software that I own will work with the machine if I buy the correct plug. That was the problem my current J 19 plug doesn't fit even though they look similar the receptacle on the machine doesn't have a middle circle with a slot so I have to buy a new plug to connect to my comlink which connect to my laptop. But I didn't want to spend the $200 if the darn software doesn't communicate with the machine.
As for the Hydraulics everything is functioning normal except for that one track . If I operate the other side I can go around and around in a full circle . The light that is currently blinking on the controls is for a rocker switch I believe it's the e-brake rocker switch if I'm not mistaken . As far as it bogging down. Yes it's bogging down. The locked track will go about 5 in forward or backwards I figured that was the slack in the track itself. And then the motor starts to struggle. I figured that was the hydraulic lock safety mechanism I couldn't see anything obstructing the track. Since I've been writing this response you sent another message so if there's more questions I will respond after I read it but I'm going to send this one for now.

What is your serial number?

Really only need the prefix of the first 3 to 4

I'm on Eastern standard Time here but am currently tied up with a few other things. I can get on the phone with you but it's going to be likely in a couple of hours before I can jump on the phone. However in the meantime if you can grab me serial number prefix and some of the information I requested I can pull some tech info for your machine.

Dan, Technician
Phone call session started

Click the link below and you will need to download them individually or the site will try to get you to subscribe.... Dont subscribe. They are my files... One at a time download is all you should need to do.

Service information

Also let me know what times Eastern standard Time are the best times tomorrow. Please post your email as well so I can send you some other information that I believe will be helpful.

ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED PILOT SYSTEM The electronically controlled pilot system controls pilot oil flow to the drive system pilot valves, the drive motor parking brakes, the work tool pilot valves, and the auxiliary control valve spool in the control valve group. The Operator Interlock Electronic Control Module (ECM) and the Auxiliary Hydraulic Electronic Control Module (ECM) receive input signals from various switches. The control modules process the input signals, make decisions, and provide corresponding output signals. The Operator Interlock ECM provides output signals to the indicator lamp module, travel solenoid, the parking brake solenoid, and the work tool solenoid. The Auxiliary Hydraulic ECM provides output signals to the auxiliary hydraulic solenoids, and the two-speed travel solenoid or the high flow solenoid. The Auxiliary Hydraulic ECM communicates through the CAT Data Link and can be accessed with Cat Electronic Technician (Cat ET).

The Operator Interlock ECM prohibits the engine from starting and de-energizes the travel solenoid valve, the park brake solenoid valve, and the work tool solenoid valve until certain conditions are met. The Operator Interlock ECM reads the input signals from various switches on the machine. The armrest switch is a normally open switch located at the right hinge point for the armrest. The armrest switch closes when the armrest is lowered. The seat switch is normally open switch that is located below the operator's seat. The seat switch closes when the operator is seated in the seat. The door switch is a normally open switch located on the inside of the door. The door switch closes when the door is closed. The Operator Interlock ECM determines operator requests from input signals from the key switch, park brake switch, and the work tool lockout switch.

The Operator Interlock ECM disables the travel solenoid and park brake solenoid until the operator is seated with the armrest down and the momentary park brake switch is depressed. The travel solenoid allows pilot oil to flow to the speed and direction control lever when energized. The park brake is released by the pilot oil flowing from the park brake solenoid when the solenoid is energized. The park brake indicator lamp is illuminated whenever the parking brake solenoid is de-energized. The travel solenoid and park brake solenoid are de-energized when the park brake switch is actuated a second time. The solenoids are also de-energized whenever the armrest or seat switches are opened or a failure within the system.

The Operator Interlock ECM monitors the solenoids and switches for opens, shorts to ground, and shorts to battery. The ECM will then flash the armrest indicator and/or the park brake indicator to indicate a problem. Open circuits and shorts to ground prevent the travel solenoid from energizing, disabling the travel system, and applying the parking brake. The ECM will cause the park brake indicator lamp to flash to signal the operator of the problem. Shorts to battery have different effects depending on the state of system when the fault occurred. If the travel solenoid is commanded OFF when the short to battery occurred, the ECM will open the return line and the travel system is disabled. The ECM will cause the park brake indicator lamp to flash to signal the operator of the problem. If the travel solenoid is requested ON when the short to battery occurs, then the system operates normally

Open circuits and shorts to ground cause the park brake to be applied. Because the ECM has no indication that the park brake was applied, it may be possible to drive through the park brake, as the transmission remains active. Shorts to battery result in the park brake solenoid being continuously on (brakes released). Because the park brake is spring-applied, the park brake is applied when the machine is electrically turned off. The Operator Interlock ECM monitors the park brake switch for shorts to ground or failed closed conditions. The ECM determines this condition by detecting the signal from the park brake switch being grounded for greater than 30 seconds. The Operator Interlock ECM causes the park brake indicator lamp to flash to signal the operator of the system problem. The indicator lamp flashes immediately if the park brake switch is closed to ground on power-up. If the Operator Interlock ECM detects both inputs for the seat switch and the armrest switch grounded, the armrest/seat switch indicator lamp will flash to indicate a problem. The machine will start with both inputs closed; however, the travel and work tool systems will be disabled. Additionally, if the ECM detects both inputs are open for more than 5 seconds, the armrest/seat switch indicator lamp will flash and the travel and work tool systems will be disabled. The Operator Interlock ECM monitors the park brake switch for shorts to ground or failed closed conditions. The ECM determines this condition by detecting the signal from the park brake switch being low for greater than 30 seconds. The Operator Interlock ECM causes the park brake indicator lamp to flash to signal the operator of the system problem. The indicator lamp flashes immediately if the park brake switch is closed to ground on power-up. The Operator Interlock ECM monitors the work tool pilot solenoid and detent coil for open circuits, shorts to battery, and shorts to ground. The ECM cannot distinguish between the work tool pilot solenoid and detent coil because they are wired in parallel. Open circuits and shorts to ground will prevent the coils from energizing. Shorts to battery has different effects depending on the state of the system when the fault occurred. If the solenoids are requested OFF with a short to battery, the ECM will open the return line, resulting in the disabling of the work tool and travel systems and the engagement of the parking brake. The armrest/seat switch indicator lamp flashes to signal the operator of the problem. If the solenoids are requested on, the work tool hydraulic system functions normally.

A failure of the hydraulic lockout switch or the cab door switch in the open position prevents the switch from enabling the work tool hydraulic system. The work tool hydraulic system remains inactive, regardless of the switch position. This condition may be indicated by the lockout indicator lamp remaining on.

Again, let me know what times Eastern standard Time are the best times tomorrow. Please post your email as well so I can send you some other information that I believe will be helpful as well.

Wow Dan, Thank You!! OK so all the chaos has stopped and I just got to the computer.
1- I am available now until 10pm eastern Time (6pm my time).
2- Equipment Serial #CAT0259BLYYZ00896
3-Thank you for the confirmation on the ET software. Im goinng to drive to the dealership as soon as I get off the phone with you and pick up the plug. I am going to wait till I talk with you simply because I want to see If I should roll the dice and pick up that parking brake switch
4-The only thing that leads me to wonder is only one track is locking. Is there a parking brake switch for both sides. If there is only one switch then why don't both tracks lock?

What is your e mail?

I have two files ready to go....

Sounds great thank you

sent

When the engine is started, the park brake solenoid is de-energized. The park brake solenoid directs oil to drain and the park brakes are engaged by spring force. When the operator depresses the park brake switch, a signal is sent to the Operator Interlock ECM. The Operator Interlock ECM energizes the park brake solenoid. The park brake solenoid valve directs oil to the park brake piston, which acts against the spring force to release the brakes. The main purpose of the flushing valve is to drain some oil from the low pressure side of the drive loop to case drain, which purges heat and any contamination from the drive loop. The relief valve in the flushing valve also controls the minimum pressure in the low pressure side drive loop when the machine moves.

When the travel pilot valve is shifted, it functions as a variable pressure reducing valve which directs signal oil to a resolver. A resolver is a double check valve which compares two pressure signals and sends the highest resolved pressure to the actuator pistons. In NEUTRAL, both sides of the resolvers are open to the drain. The resolver compares the pressure between the two pilot valve spool signals when forward or reverse travel is initiated concurrently for a right or left turn. The highest pressure unseats the ball and signal oil flows to the the actuator pistons. For FORWARD, the oil pressure unseats the resolver balls and signal oil flows to the right end of both actuator pistons. The pressure of the signal oil determines how far the actuator pistons move. The signal pressure oil at the actuator pistons moves the swashplates to the forward position. As the swashplates move, pump output flow increases and is sent to the drive motors. The oil from the pump also flows to the top of the flushing valve and moves it down. With the flushing valve moved, oil from the low pressure side of the drive motors flows across it and through the relief valve back to the return manifold. With no restrictions in the drive motor loop, the flows causes the drive motors to rotate, and the machine moves FORWARD.

MB1 refers to the forward drive loop of the pump for the left side of the machine.

MA1 refers to the reverse drive loop of the pump for the left side of the machine.

MB2 refers to the forward drive loop of the pump for the right side of the machine.

MA2 refers to the reverse drive loop of the pump for the right side of the machine.

These ports are labeled on the pumps

Also you can see there are crossover reliefs.... Check them for debris, damaged o rings, etc.... Swap and see of the problem follows the other track... only if you dont find metal or a pump/drive motor failure. Swap lines to switch pump to drive if needed to help isolate as well as case drain pressure check

Check the drive motor valves for debris or problems as well if no metal is found in the filter/oil. Possible stuck flushing valve or crossover relief on the pump. Let me know.... Review the e mail info I sent. Pleasure to help