Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Just bought a CAT 31B market excavator. I need to swap the…

Just bought a CAT...

Just bought a CAT 31B gray market excavator. I need to swap the controls to BHL pattern

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

CAT 311B serial 6LK18461 PIN 8HR0143

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a 4 way pattern selector: SAE, MHI, KOB, Former SCM. I need the BHL pattern.

11/29/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Since this is gray market, I am not sure this is the same but, if you remove the guard under the cab and locate a manifold block that contains the lines from each joystick, look at the rear connections for some colored tags. If it has the tags, swap the lines as follows,

Switch RED L1 STICK OUT with GREEN R3 BOOM DOWN
Switch BLUE L3 STICK IN with ORANGE R1 BOOM UP

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Wow I hope this works.

It should as this has been common to US machines back to the E110

This same machine I have a problem with the monitor. When the machine is cold, the digital monitor is black and there is a buzzer sounding. After about 5 minutes the monitor lights up and the buzzer quits. All is well after it is warm.I checked to monitor for current and stored codes and there are none.

Remove side panel and check your connections. Clean any corrosion or replace terminals. Look at the ECM under the seat and see if the red light is on. If it is, the ECM is bad. Yellow light means communications issue to monitor. Green means the ECM has power.

Very good. Will work on these items tomorrow. Thank you. You are good.

Thanks, ***** ***** could help.

You have CAT sis?

Yes.

My list is showing pilot valves below the levers with steel tubes to the valves. Is that correct?

I have never looked. I would think it is steel lines.

Go below the cab or maybe behind the cab and look for the pilot lines from the steel tubes to the control valves.

I don't have a cheat sheet for these as they were before my time but, use a cap and plug to block off one line at a time to identify which function stops working then you can swap the boom and stick as needed to get the BHL config. You may need to have some hoses fabricated to make this work.

I heard of it done on the 215 machines but, I haven't worked on but a couple of these in my 25 years in the field.

Thanks

You're welcome.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
It worked I got the controls changed over on the 311B.