Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2002 case 621D loader and while in use one day it…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 case...
I have a 2002 case 621D loader and while in use one day it just stopped. It will start, idle and rev up fine but it has zero hydraulics. No bucket controls, no forward or reverse, and no steering. The filters have all been replaced, the hydraulic oil level is full. When it first starts it will have steering for a split second then nothing.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/28/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Has the coupler from the engine flywheel been damaged, and is no longer turning the output to the transmission and hydraulics?

Is the drive shaft spinning between the torque converter and the transmission?

the driveshaft from the engine is still spinning.

Is it turning the input shaft or is it stripped out?

Did some inspecting today and the input is definitely turning, also pull the pump off the front a bit to inspect the input into the pump and that turns as well. Replaced a broken solenoid and now we have forward and reverse but still no bucket or steering. I put a hydraulic tester on the two test ports in the main block in the front ( i believe they call it the main relief and the pilot ) both have zero hydraulic pressure.

You say you found a broken solenoid? Was it damaged by a blow? Could there be more damage to another harness in the same area as all quit at the same time?

It wasn't physically damaged, it just wasn't functioning. Visually the rest of them look fine.

OK, just seems odd that it would lose the functions at the same time and now you have the drive back. With zero pressure to the hydraulic functions, is the pump turning?

After talking to the operator the forward/reverse was an ongoing intermittent issue. The gauge I have starts at 100psi, so it might have some hydraulic pressure but it's less than 100. I pulled the pump back a little bit so I could verify the pump is turning and it definitely is

Is the pump moving fluid?

I do not have access to a flow meter but there does seem to be some fluid movement. My best guess is its not enough seeing as it isn't registering any pressure
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago

Pump suction is good? Not sucking air?

All filters where changed and the fluid does not appear to be aerated at all.

The pump may have failed.