Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

HAVE A 4240E GEHL SKID STEER - CAN BE GOING STRAIGHT FOWARD…

HAVE A 4240E GEHL...

HAVE A 4240E GEHL SKID STEER - CAN BE GOING STRAIGHT FOWARD OR REVERSE AND SUDDENLY LOCKS UP KILLS MOTOR - WILL START RIGHT BACK UP -MAY AS SOON AS I GOTO GO FORWARD OR REV MAY STILL LOCK UP AND LILL MOTOR SEEMS LIKE IF I WIGGLE T-HANDLE COMES OUT OF IT AND I CAN CONTIUNE ON

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

IT IS A 4240E GEHL SKID STEER YEAR IS A 2008 DONT HAVE SERIAL ON ME

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

NOT AT MOMENT

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/30/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** you get this resolved since your post? If not let me know and I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc.. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

hi Dan , no i have not got resolved as of yet ,still seeking direction before i start tearing something apart that i dont have to

Thanks for the update. Couple of things you initially want to check. Check for problems with the chains and sprockets on both sides in the chain case. You will have to remove the access covers to be able to look inside for problems with the chains and sprockets. Also check inside the hydraulic filter by removing and dumping into a clean container to look for fine metal or debris that would flag a pump or component failure occurring. If found the hydrostatic drive components would need to be sent out for disassembly inspection and repair or overhaul. Also the rest of the hydraulic circuit components would need to be inspected and thoroughly cleaned out to prevent cross contamination if it is found in the system. Reply back with the results.

Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician
THOUGHT IT WOULD BE ALONG THOSE LINES WILL CHECK HYD FILTER FIRST , THEN CHAINS WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND THANKS MATT

Pleasure to help Matt