Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 252 Cat Skid Steer. It does not have full power.

I have a 252...

I have a 252 b Cat Skid Steer. It does not have full power. when I throttle up it seems like there isn't enough fuel or air supply. I checked the fuel water filter and air filter but the problem still exists. When at full throttle there is blue smoke coming out the exhaust.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It is a 252B Cat Skid Steer. Serial # Cat0252BJ SCP00383

10/29/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Always repair the fuel filter when you have a low power complaint. Same with the air filter to just eliminate it as a problem.

Inspect the inlet of the air filter for trash. Some machines have the inlet into the frame and this can plug with leaves and other trash, blocking air flow.

Also look at the air pipe crossing from the turbo to the inlet of the cylinder head. If you notice oil around the hoses, remove the pipe and see how much oil is in the intake.

If you have been losing oil and do not see any other leaks, this could indicate a leaking turbo and a cause for low power. (NOTE, this should be the last thing to replace as they can be several hundred dollars.)

You should also test the fuel filter electric pump.

• Use the following data in order to determine if the problem is related to the fuel lift pump. Collect the following information twice. Collect the data when the engine is at low idle. Collect the data when the engine is at high idle.

Obtain the voltage on the pump. The voltage should be 11.5 volts to 14.5 volts. If the voltage is out of the range, the problem may exist within the electrical circuit.

• Obtain the current. The current should be between 2 and 3.5 Amp. If the voltage is out of the range, the problem may exist within the electrical circuit.

Obtain the vacuum for the inlet on the pump. The pressure should be −10 to 0 kPa (−1.5 to 0 psi). If the vacuum for the inlet is too high, check the fuel lines for damage, restrictions or debris.
  • Obtain the outlet pressure on the pump. The pressure should be 20 to 70 kPa (3 to 10 psi). If the outlet pressure is low, replace the filter.
  • Ensure that there is fuel flow at the pump.
  • If the pump fails any of the tests that are listed above, replace the pump and the filter unit.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician