Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Bobcat 773. Everything was working fine when I

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a Bobcat 773. Everything was working fine when I parked it outside a few weeks ago. Now, it starts, however I have no hydraulic control (lift, tilt, or move). When I turn the switch to the on position, all the lights on the BICS comes on, then when I start the machine, the only light that remains “on” on the BICS is the power light. As well, I don’t hear the traction lock solenoid sound when I press the traction lock over-ride button (green) button just beneath the key switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat 773 "C", serial number is

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Customer:###-##-####

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello. I’m fine with an email or phone response. Thank you.
10/28/2018
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, it's been a few years since I've worked on a C series machine, and I could be wrong about this, but seems I recall all the lights on the BICS controller come on at power up as part of a self test, doesn't indicate everything is operating proper. While seated, when you start it and drop the lap bar, you should then see the power light on, the seat switch light, and the lap bar light. You won't see the traction or valve light come on when you push the enable button unless the other three lights are on, power, seat switch, and lap bar. If you only see the power light on at the BICS controller when you start it with the lap bar down, no seat or lap bar light, then you most likely have a problem with either the switches or a problem in the wiring harness. If either the lap bar or seat light are blinking then their blinking a fault code. Again, the traction and valve lights will not come on until the seat switch and lap bar lights are lit up. Let me know what you find.

The seat sensor and bar sensor were disabled when I bought the machine about 15 years ago. All the lights on the BICS turn on when the ignition is turned is turned to position 1. When I turn the key to position 2 (start), the unit starts immediately, and the only light that remains on is the power light. There are no other indicators or subsequent flashes on the BICS.When I pressed the soft green button below the ignition switch, nothing happens. In the past when the unit was working, I would hear a click sound from the traction solenoid being energized. Now, I hear don’t hear the click.I have checked the fuses in the two fused boxes, they all seem alright. I have not swapped the relays, but that was going to be my next troubleshoot step. Thought? Thanks, Daren

Ok, that changes everything for me. If the seat switch and lap bar have been disabled somehow then I'm flying blind, I have no clue how this change/modification has been done to the machine or how it would affect the BICS controller or for that matter how the BICS controller is even working. I'd love to help with your problem, but this really puts me in the clueless territory unless you can think of something that will help me out here. If not, then it's best I opt out of your inquiry so it will go back on the board for others to view and see if someone else can help. I have no other choice in this case.

No problem, I understand, thank you.

I do hope you get it sorted out, but without being there at the machine myself not much I can do to help. Cheers ***** *****

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc.. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.By chance what faults do you have logged in the controller? I also agree that this becomes more complicated now that things are bypassed and it has been modified in such a way that without visually seeing what was done for this modification some things will be difficult to troubleshoot. I do recommend you can to fix the interlock circuit properly. Do you have your manuals and wiring schematics? If not I may be able to help with that by your serial number.

I would take a close look at your wiring harness and connector pins for damage or corrosion. Specially look for areas that may have been spliced for this bypass. You may very well find that where this interlock harness was bypassed could have failed such as corrosion in the connectors or the connectors coming apart etc. for your relays swap one at a time with a known good one for test purposes. For your fuses test for power on both sides with the ignition on and replace any with power only on one side. Let's start there and follow up with the results as well as any fault codes you have logged in the controller.Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Hi Dan,I have the manuals and schematics, and I have studied electronics engineering.Looking at the schematics, it appears that the fuses are upstream from the BICS, the sensors connect directly to the BICS, and the BICS connects directly to the outputs (eg: traction solenoid). This doesn’t mean that the relays are not suspect, but does not appear that way.I will start with your suggestions in the morning and provide an update.Thank you.Daren
Hi Dan, I have power on both sides of each fuse. The relay’s are also confirmed to be working. Because the seat and rail sensors were disconnected before I bought the machine, I don’t know how to identify which BICS side connectors to check for connectivity.If it’s not a bad connection, then it might be the BICS controller itself.I had the machine in the forest, I disconnected the traction lock solenoid which allowed me to move the machine into my garage.The schematics shows a hydraulic lock solenoid connected to C301 pin “C”. Can you tell me where this solenoid is physically located and what it looks like (picture)? Perhaps I can test this solenoid (9 to 10 ohms) and if required manually splice in the required voltage to confirm this part as being good or defective.Any other suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Hi Daren, I have family visiting as it is Sunday but I wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you I just have limited availability today until later tonight just time and tomorrow.

Click below and enter your serial number on the main screen to access full parts diagrams.

Parts

Click below

Solenoid

Also I agree that you may be looking at a failed controller these other checks confirm the other parts of the circuit are okay.

No worries Dan. Please enjoy your time with your family. We can catch up later

Sounds good. Pleasure working with you on this

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician
Hi Dan. I can only work on the machine on the weekends. I believe that I have found the BICS hydraulic interlock coil. On Saturday, I'm going to try to power this coil and the traction solenoid directly from the battery. If it works, then I should be able to insert a switch in series to replace the "press to operate" button. Is the solenoid and coil operate on 12 volts? Are you going to available on this weekend? Thanks, Daren

I Daren, thanks for the update. Although I can't recommend bypassing a safety circuit for safety reasons, but I can say that just could work as far as for testing purposes to test out the circuit. Weekends vary on my availability depending on what I have going on with family or other obligations etc. but I try to log in for any follow-ups as time allows so in either case any responses I will follow up with on my next available logins.

Hi Dan, I got her fixed up. Made my own wiring harness and switch to control traction solenoid and BICS hydraulic valve. Thanks for your help and have a good weekend.

Thanks for the update glad to hear that you got this resolved.Pleasure to help