Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My father has a Dresser dozer that will not start. I believe…

My father has a Dresser...
My father has a Dresser bull dozer that will not start. I believe it's the injection pump, but would like to verify it. Thanks
It has a IH engine, I believe it's aD239. It will run on ether. I changed the fuel filter, and took the fuel inlet line off an verified fuel flow at the injection pump. There is one small wire a the injection pump, it has 12v with the switch on. Would this be an internal coil for a fuel shut off? I took one of the injection lines off, and while cranking there is no fuel coming out of the pump. I forgot to mention that the machine had sat for years. Dad put batteries in It and it started right up. He had been starting it up and let it run once a week or so. He had it running one day and was doing something else, and when he returned or wasn't running, and would not start. I'm not sure, I think it's a Roosa-Master pump, there aren't any numbers on it that I can see. Thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/26/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

The one wire switch is the fuel shutoff solenoid. It has to have battery voltage to it open the fuel passage as soon as the key is turned on. Does it have voltage and does it click open?

It has 12v, but does not make any noise when the switch is cycled. When they fail do they fail to the closed position?

Yes, closed is the off position, and have to retract to open the passage. Take it out an see if it works when the switch is flipped on and off. It may free up.

Since it seemed to fail while the machine was running

If it fails, the internal spring kills the engine.

Since it seemed to fail while the machine was running, do you think it could be stuck ? Also, it looks like I will have to remove the injection pump to get to the cover over that coil, if I put in back in exactly how it came out, will it still have to be timed? Can you just change that part of the pump?

The typical one wire fuel solenoid just unscrews and comes out, nothing else is required to remove or reinstall.??

The single wire on the end of the pump? Would need a better picture, but i would still think you can just screw it out.

Does not look like Roosemaster pump! Not sure what is required.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician