Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Massey 1433v. All the forward gears work fine and…

I have a Massey...

I have a Massey 1433v. All the forward gears work fine and shift fine. Cannot get the lever on the steering column to go into reverse. Traced the linkage into the gearbox and there is nothing blocking it or abnormal looking.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1433V is the model number. Would have to go look for serial number

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Serial number L-R0917

Serial number is *****
10/26/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

If you remove the linkage at the gearbox, can you shift it into reverse?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
When I disconnect from the gear box it will shift in the column but cannot not move at the gear box.The shifting column shifts fine but the gearbox will not shift into reverse.
Phone call session started

Called just now, and no answer. are you available?

Remove the shift cover and see if the reverse fork tip is aligned with the shift rail for reverse. See link below.

The shift cover is not coming off. Not sure how to get it off.

You have all the bolts out? It should just pry off, it may have dowel pins keeping it tight and aligned.

Ok. Will pry off.

OK>

I have the access opened. the fork shift reverse fork moves over the larger forward gear but not back to the thinner rear gear. I cannot see at the moment how far the rail shift reverse goes into the fork. the fork will move some forward and back.
Are you there?The gears move easily with the clutch in.The fork not so much.

Can you manually move the shift rail into reverse?

I do not know. I would have to reach in and grab it. A very narrow hole for access.I will go try.

OK> Use a screwdriver or small bar to move it.

I have used a screwdriver to move the gears and the fork, but the rail is at the back of the opening. really behind it. I cannot get my hand to get there. I tried a pair of pliers and just do not have room. How would I move the rail with screwdriver?would going through the fork with an allen wrench be a way to move it?it is a polished rod, so even pushing it with a screwdriver on the side, how would that move it?

How does the shift fork move it? You would move it the same with screwdriver. Is it too far? Out of position?

I can move the fork back and forth some over the forward gear. the gears move freely with the clutch in. The fork will not move over to the back gear.I am assuming the rear gear is reverse.

The forward as to be in neutral, before the reverse will move

the clutch is in. How do I get it in neutral?

You move the shift rail.

Okay. Will try.

OK>

All the gears spin easily. I am not sure how I move the shift rail. I move the fork about a 1/4 of an inch back and forth.The clutch is in.The rail is visible on both sides of the fork.Do I try to find the forward end of the rail and push that back?The rail is on the left side tucked under the case. I can try to see it better from the right side of the tractor. Maybe then I can see the forward end of the rail and push that back. Will go try that.No go.

So the shift rail is stuck or the gears are stuck on the shaft. Meaning your transmission would have to come out!