Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Deere 8300 tractor, the Cc pack shift valve had stuck,

John Deere 8300 tractor...

John Deere 8300 tractor, the Cc pack shift valve had stuck, before we found it stuck we tore transmission down and replaced all pack pistons, all clutch disk looked good, put transmission back together, it has a whining sound when Cc pack is engaged, 6.8.10&12 gears whine more noticeable in 10&12 gears, the Cc valve was replaced new, no change, when the valve gets stuck open , it has a piece of thin brass sticking it open, my question. Could it be coming from charge pump and could it be whining, it pulls good in all gears no slippage, but only them gears I mentioned is whining noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok, thanks

10/23/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** you get this resolved since your post? If not let me know and I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc.. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Hey Dan, I haven’t gotten anything figured out yet, been out working on a different tractor

Thanks for the update. If it's producing metal than I would be concerned. Check in the filter/screen to see if it's collecting any metal. Since it's brass it almost sounds like it would be coming from the pump. I would also confirm your pressures are within specs and see what the pressures are doing in each gear. Reply back with the results. The whining does sound like cavitation but if there is metal being produced it will have to be taken back apart for further inspection.

Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Ok, it will be tomorrow before I get back to this tractor, I’ll check all pressures and get back to you, thanks

Pleasure to help

Dan, Technician
Hey Dan, I just got back to this 8300 tractor, I pulled the charge/steering pump off, the housing are wore pretty bad, if the charge pump is cavitating will it cause the whining sound. The only thing I don’t understand is why it only whines in 6,8,10&12th gears. Maybe you can clarify it for me, thanks

Thanks for the update. My theory on that is there is a higher demand of volume of flow from the pump and it is at a higher RPM and speed range at those gears. Therefore there is a higher demand on the pump.I know this is not a hydraulics as an example however have you ever witnessed a fan make a more prominent noise at a certain rpm rather than others or more of a vibration at a certain rpm? Similar concept with the added higher demand of oil flow as well so if the pump cannot produce that there is insufficient oil for cooling, lubrication, and for hydraulic function.

Thanks Dan, makes since, I just couldn’t understand why it only makes noise in these gears and none of the higher gears, thought you may have an answer, I’ve done ordered a new pump and gonna install it Monday and see what it does.

Pleasure to help and keep me posted on the results

Ok

Once again pleasure to help.

Hey Dan, I installed the charge/ steering pump, tractor still has whining sound, it doesn’t sound as loud as before, but I did notice driving in a straight line isn’t as loud as when I go to turning steering wheel it gets louder, don’t quite understand that, do you think if when I went into the transmission back last year that I could have turned an idler gear over and them being straight cut gears it may be gears whining. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the update. That could be a possibility if it sounds more of a mechanical type whine rather than hydraulic. Another thing that might be a good idea to check is your pressures and see if the gauges hold steady , or are within specs, and if pressures are erratic that would indicate an issue.

Ok, I’m leaning towards gears, because I noticed when I drove across rough ground, the sound would go in and out, like tractor would free wheel a little when in uneven ground

Thanks for the update. You could always try to give a listen with a mechanic stethoscope and see if you can isolate that noise a little further to its exact location.

May try that, thanks

Keep me posted and it's a pleasure to help with anything I can

55357;�