Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

D4E seems park brake dragging. will not freewheel and heats…

Customer Question
D4E seems park brake...

D4E seems park brake dragging. will not freewheel and heats up torque if operated.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

D4E ,SN# ***** Arrange # 4V452

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just bought it, looking to fix myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the guy i am buying it from thought it was the torque or clutch pack. i got on and moved it forward and reverse and it is the same. both steering brakes and clutches work. just seems it is trying to pull through the park brake. guy said it had set for 11 years in barn.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/13/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions and like most places, this is a busy time for everyone.

He may be more right than wrong. If the steering clutches are working and the brakes are releasing, then the issue is with the transmission or the converter.

The parking brake is only a lock pawl that holds the service brakes applied. It is not a separate brake system.

Are you certain the steering clutches are releasing? Do both brake pedals feel like they are moving the brake bands through the full stroke of the pedal or only at the bottom? Does the parking brake lever engage and disengage the linkage and change the feel of the brake pedals?