Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 310D and it was stolen. When I git it home the

I have a 310D...

I have a 310D and it was stolen. When I git it home the machine would not crank with the key and the re verse wouldn't work. I t will move forward w/shifter but reverser is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1994 310D. I do not have the sre# ***** me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Will I have to retype all that?

10/11/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** you get this resolved since your post? If not let me know and I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. So for Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

I have not been answered on anything! The question is there and I have been waiting for three days.

Hi, that is because I was waiting for a response from you whether or not you still needed help since you posted your question on the 10th and I saw it on the 11th and reached out to see if you still needed help. If you are new to the site please understand that professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site like yourself. Our initial time is voluntary and the site only credits us a portion of the question value on positive feedback or accepted answers otherwise we don't get credit for our time. This is why when I see old questions on the board when I log into the site if it's something I can help with I reach out to the customer to ask and confirm they still need help before I take the time working on their question just in case they've gotten it resolved and I'm not wasting my time or theirs.

I have first-hand experience on these machines as I was a prior lead technician at Nortrax John Deere. If interested I can help with a tech manual as well for this machine. We can follow up as needed on here.

The directional control valve has two electrically actuated solenoids that control oil flow for element engagement. The disconnect clutch cut-off solenoid (B) is a continuous-duty solenoid that actuates and holds inner valve spool against spring during normal machine operation. High pressure oil flow is allowed to pass through the valve and is routed to the directional control solenoid. When the clutch cut-off solenoid is de-energized, element engagement oil flow is blocked and oil previously used to engage the clutch or brake pack is allowed to return to sump. The direction control solenoid (A) is a bi-directional solenoid that moves the inner valve spool in or out from a neutral position that is established by the centering spring. Movement of the valve when solenoid is energized directs oil flow to engage either the forward clutch or reverse brake.

The disconnect clutch solenoid is used to disengage the forward clutch or reverse brake without moving the FNR lever. This provides maximum engine power to the hydraulic function during loader operation. The disconnect clutch solenoid can be de-energized by pressing the button on the transmission shift lever or loader control valve lever. When de-energized, spring force moves the inner spool IN which blocks the flow of high pressure oil to the direction control valve solenoid. At the same time, the spool connects the forward clutch and reverse brake passages to sump which disengages power flow by releasing all previous engagement pressure oil. With reverse brake engaged, the ring gear cannot rotate. The input shaft turns inside the planetary assembly. This rotation causes the pinion gears to rotate against the inside of the ring gear causing planetary and output shaft assembly to rotate in opposite directions of input shaft. This causes a 10% speed reduction in reverse gears. Forward clutch continues to receive lubrication oil (B). Forward clutch piston oil is open to return to disengage forward clutch.

What you want to check on this is verify that the clutch disconnect solenoid is not engaged causing the transmission to stay disengaged. Verify if there is power to the solenoid or if there is any damage to the wiring that goes to the solenoid as seen in the diagrams I posted. If the wiring or solenoids are not working properly or if it is keeping the transmission did disengaged you could experience the symptoms you are having. Ideally something like this is what you would want to find rather than a more expensive failure in the transmission or reverser. You will also want to check inside the filter and oil for signs of metal or debris that would flag or confirm an internal mechanical failure is occurring and has occurred. Check for burnt or discoloration of the oil as well. Unfortunately if someone took this machine and beat on it on a joy ride it is very possible that they broke something internally. I would definitely service the fluids in the transaxle and hydraulics etc. and look for signs of metal or debris that would indicate any failures occurring. It is a good idea to open up the filters as well to check inside for any metal debris in the filter media.

The next step will be if everything looks okay and no debris is found that confirms it needs to be taken apart for further inspection for repair, you will want to have the pressures tested in verify that they are in OEM specs. I recommend having a shop manual handy for these tests as it has all the tests you will need to do. If we need to get into that further and if you do not have a copy already I can help with that as well. I will send over the information on that if interested in viewing the manuals as well.

Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

We can continue to follow up as needed on here

Before I can send over any offers to view manuals or any other premium services such as phone calls etc. there needs to be at least another response on here from you before the site will open up those links for me to send to you. If you don't think you'll need any of that or if you're not interested in any of that as of yet we can continue as we are here. Let me know.

I will check these things you suggested when I can. It will be a day or two, because I have to have help. The machine was stolen for a short time, like an hour maybe or two at the most and it was working perfectly when he took it. He bogged it down and that's where it was when I caught him. if that info helps you any on what it could be. Thanks for all you have sent so far!

I would definitely do a 2000 hour service and check all filters and screens for contamination or debris that would indicate internal problems. Most importantly you would drain the transmission and transaxle to look for signs of a problem.Pleasure to help.

I have not been long changed all the fluids and the filters. Do you really think him having that machine just that little bit he could have done that. It will not crank w/ the key. i have to turn the key on and jump it at the starter for it to run and then it will only go forward with the shifter in the floor, not the reverser handle on the column.

If this person was not an operator and was slamming the shifter in gear between forward and reverse with the machine still moving something could've broken inside the transmission or drivetrain and you could have some major problems. It doesn't matter how recent the oil was changed because it hasn't been changed since this occurred. The idea is to look from metal resulting from this incident. However since it will not crank with the key it sounds like he may have bent or damaged something related to the neutral switch or the alignment for the neutral position as the shifter needs to be in neutral for this to start. I would check the wiring and connector pins as well as a problem with the switch.

Thank you

Pleasure to help

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician