Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat D4 was pushing dirt, not hard, and the it just stopped…

Cat D4 was pushing...

Cat D4 was pushing dirt, not hard, and the it just stopped moving. I put it in forward then reverse and no movement. Turned it off for a short while then when restarted I was able to move forward to load on trailer and it felt like it was moving properly. The machine wasn't hot when it quit moving. Any ideas of what I need to start with checking? It has never acted this way before.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

D4H Series II s/n 8PB04889

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

correction. I stopped and changed gears from forward to reverse and that's when it wouldn't pull at all neither backward or forward. I shut it down, checked the trans fluid as it was full. The transmission temp guage was not reading hot as it was at operating temp. Started back up still wouldn't move. Shut down again for 10 or less minutes and then started it back up and loaded on the trailer. It pulled fine then...?
10/7/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** you get this resolved since your post? If not let me know and I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. So for Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

No waiting on expert answer
Want a full refund service not helpful

This must be your first time on the site. Professionals are not employees of the site by users of the site like yourself. It is the weekend and I am with family etc. I help on here in between jobs and as time allows in between family events etc.. The professionals time is completely voluntary on here and the only time the professional gets any type of compensation from the website is once a customer leaves positive feedback or accepts an answer. The customer and professional can follow up as needed as long as needed on the website. I reached out to be sure that you still needed help and I just got back to your question as it is around dinnertime here for my family and a Sunday. But I see you no longer want help which is perfectly fine but you're asking the wrong person for a refund. You're asking a technician that has nothing to do with the billing on here. I was prior field service for Milton Caterpillar and could've helped you but since you don't need help anymore you will need to reach out to customer service for your refund. I will move on but thank you for letting me know you no longer needed help so I didn't pull up information on your serial number machine for nothing.

Perfect

Start with the condition of the oil. Make note if you find it milky white or gray, metal or shiny debris in it. Replace filter and clean the housing to find what debris is in it. Cut open old filter to inspect for debris. Make note on what is found in the filter.
If debris is present in filter, trash could be blocking valves and the valve body may need removal. You can begin pressure testing at the port on the filter. Make note of the pressure at high and low speeds through all the gears. Check drive shaft and watch for it locking or not when engaging the speeds.

Thank you sir. Where is the drain plug located?

You didn't submit for a refund and would like to continue? Let me know.

sir

Okay. The best case scenario to work on this and I know sometimes it might be out on a job site but ideally you will want to drive it up on some hard wood blocks to raise the undercarriage off the ground high enough so you could roll underneath it with a creeper and a transmission jacked to remove the belly pans. Sometimes these are full of dirt... Actually most of the time you can expect they are going to be full in very heavy. Too heavy to lift on your own without the help of a transmission jack. One safely supported by a Jack you will want to remove the bolts and then lower your belly pans from under the machine. On job sites where I only had a road truck you could actually run a lifting strap or appropriate lift chain and cradle the belly pan using your mechanics crane on your service truck to hold it up while you remove the bolts. Then you can let it down so it will lower to the ground. Then you can use your crane to pull it out from underneath the machine. Your section screen for the transmission will be underneath and you will want to remove the floor panel to access the filter.

Dan, Technician
Ok thank you Sir for the info