Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 936E that wont move. Dont have it. Removed parking…

Customer Question
I have a 936E...

I have a 936E that wont move

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Dont have it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Removed parking brake but made no change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was wondering if there is a trans lock or if wheel brakes would cause this

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
was wondering if this cat 936E uses air for its wheel brakes
engine runs good and hydraulics work fine.i can put in gear and it acts like it wants to move.i get a little bump in forward and reverse . is there a trans lock in parking brake systemi removed parking break because release button is not working.parking brake light is still on.is there a secondary lock maybe in transmachine has been sitting for some time
10/5/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions and like most places, this is a busy time for everyone.

I have not seen a 936E with straight air brakes. It should have Air over Hydraulic brakes with calipers and rotor disc at each wheel. CAT does not use line brake system but, some companies did add-on a line lock. It should be visible on the dash or side console if they did.

If you feel the issue is in the axles or wheels, remove the center and rear driveshafts to see it the transmission will spin free then. If it does, then you were right about the axles. If it does not move, then the transmission may have a failed clutch planetary group and it has locked the transmission clutches together.

If you find the issue is in the transmission, remove the filter first and check it for metal. Then drain the oil and check the strainer and magnets. That will give you a good idea if this will be a major repair or not.