Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a bobcat s630 that starts and runs but just stalls…

Customer Question
I have a bobcat...

I have a bobcat s630 that starts and runs but just stalls out, like it is not getting fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and it still s stalls out. If I drive it in Idle its fine. But if i crank itup it stops

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

S630 A3NT11656

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/30/2018
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, that's a fairly common problem for a Bobcat if it's stalling from lack of fuel. There's two common things that typically cause this, and the two have act different. So therefore, I need you to check two things.

First, run it under load until it stalls out. Right then, the moment it stalls, look and see if the fuel primer bulb is sucked flat. If it is, the fuel pickup tube strainer inside the tank is clogged.

Second common problem is the fuel pickup tube inside the tank is either cracked or broken off. No simple/easy way to view the pickup tube, it can be a bugger to get to on a Bobcat. The easiest way to check it is remove the piece of rubber fuel hose that connects to the primer bulb and insert a short piece of clear tubing, reconnect to primer bulb and run the machine, see if there's a lot of air bubbles traveling through the clear tubing.

Aside from that, other causes are not so easy to test. Could be a problem with the fuel lift pump, could be a problem with the injection system. Those items are not "user friendly" to check/test. Do you hear three beeps from the alarm when it stalls? Have you checked to see if there's any active codes when it stalls?

No active codes and no beeps. It only does it when i throttle up the RPMs. It shuts down. Theb i start it back and it moves as long as i don’t throttle it up.

Ok, check that primer bulb first when it stalls, see if it's sucked flat. If not, insert a piece of clear tube in the line at primer bulb to check for air bubbles.