Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a cat 277b that won’t charge. Cat0277bjmd02154 cat 277b…

Have a cat 277b...

Have a cat 277b that won’t charge

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat0277bjmd02154 cat 277b multi terrain loader

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing this myself and I have repaired all the broken wires coming off the back of th alternator. When I first started battery was only holding 7volts. Now battery holds 11.5v and starts with out being jumped. But I have no hour meter and alternator is not exciting

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions and like most places, this is a busy time for everyone.

You already seem to know a lot about this machine. How are you with harness testing and repairs?

ohm the harness. But it’s hard to ohm it correctly without a diagram . Alternator has been replaced. And just lost that this alternator has no ground. But there is no power draw on the batteries. I am looking for a charging diagram for this machine so I can figure it out
My internet has gone down so I am not able to do more research.
I can tell you the wire connections for the three wires on the back of the alternator.
The wires have numbers on them and colors are the same on both ends of the circuit.
The C444 yellow wire goes from the P terminal to the monitor panel.
The 308 yellow wire is the key switch power for accessory circuits and connects to the (i) terminal.
The 403 green wire is from the L terminal to the hour meter signal terminal. (It may also connect to the security system if it is used on your machine.)

If you need more details, please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can. I cannot provide schematics as they are copyrighted material and that is against site policy.

I think you have three main harnesses to check. The engine, the platform, and the cab. If you find the circuit is shorted or open on one of the three listed earlier, please let me know and I will provide more details about the one you need to trace out.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician