Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat 935b pedal steer when i push on the right steering pedal…

Cat 935b pedal steer...

Cat 935b pedal steer when i push on the right steering pedal the left track stops why

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

935b pin is 3df00153 , and seria 45v64539

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ,this did happen a while ago just once then stoped , now almost allways , just fixed starter solinoid and rebuilt steering valves

9/17/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions and like most places, this is a busy time for everyone.

The most common reason for this is your left steering clutch is slipping.

Check the steering valve to see if it is sending pressure to the clutch. Disconnect and cap the line if needed and see if the clutch will hold with the line disconnected.

If it still slips, then the clutch is damaged or worn out. The rear of the machine would need disassembly to access the steering clutch and brake from removal.

ok i will try this next time i see the loader and will let you know, so the clutches are engaged at all times untill you push on a pedal yes or no

Yes, the steering clutches are spring applied and oil pressure from the steering valve is sent to the piston to release the steering clutch for that side. The brakes are spring released and manually applied when you push the pedals. The rods the control the steering valves and brakes should never need adjusting. the only thing you can adjust is the brakes with a separate adjusting screw near the front of the clutch and just under the seat.

ok thanks ,i will let u know the problem

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

when i tear into it i will rate you and let you know what the problem was

ok thanks

i will be taking it apart on saturday and will rate you and give you what i find out about the problem and answer you on sunday

I will be looking for your reply.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry, I am not set up for phone calls. If you wish to speak to someone, I will drop the question and OPT-OUT.

If I can help you some other way please let me know.

935b cat how do u remove the rod from the clutch or slave cylinder ,the screw head on the rod is broke off
this is the same , the head of the bolt is broke off , there is a lot of pressure still to remove the rod so do i pry on the arm to remove the rod

Did you remove the line shown in the first image I sent you?

yepi took pictures

Have you tried removing the cylinder assembly? It has four bolts that mount it to the frame. You should be able to move it out after that.

i removed the screws ,the piston in the cylinder is inward ,i broke cylinder loose it still fills tight ,i problebly could hit it hard and get it outnext weekend iam going to remove the other side and compare both sides

If it still won't come out after all that work, the release bearing on the yoke must be damaged or stuck.

You might try using a long prybar and push the yoke to the steering clutch to release the pin.

It should not be that tight.

Just be careful as the steering clutch itself may be damaged and have tension on it from the clutch springs.

i thought it did ,i tried a pipe thats all i had ,i have a large pry bar i will take with mei looked at the bearing with a mirror it looked ok from what i could see

Ok.

It should have a light tension or slight free play. If it holds pressure on the bearing, it will burn out the bearing quickly on dry brake setups.

It would take longer on a wet brake setup. I suspect your clutch discs are worn out completely and that is why that clutch doesn't pull.

do u know where the pin is located to release, thease r wet clutches

Do you mean to disassemble the clutches?

u said push the yoke to the steering clutch to release the pin , would u be able to see bad clutch parts without removing the assamblywith everything open i moved the machine a little and saw everything turning inside

OH, sorry. I was referring to remove the same small rod we were discussing.

Other than seeing slack in the release bearing you will not see any damage other than burning or blueing of the overheated parts.

Remember, the steering clutches are spring applied and that slave cylinder and rod push on the yoke and it pushes on the release bearing which moves the plates apart and allows the clutches to slip. When the steering clutch slips, you can turn the machine by having a load in front of the blade or continue applying the brake and then the brake band stops the brake drum forcing a hard or sharp turn.

When the clutch is slipping like your machine, when you try to turn the other direction, that clutch is not holding and the machine doesn't have pulling or pushing power.

iam going to give it hell next weekend ,maybe i might get lucky

Good luck.

I am glad I could help you.

i have some answers on the 935b pedal steer .i took apart the lid to the clutch compartment and removed the clutch cylinder .pulled out the pin or rod then the piston , the piston chrome was coming off and getting stuck in the seal causing the piston to stick causing the problem ,put it together with new parts works great ,now the other side is doing the same ,pulled it apart same thing chrome coming off the piston ,piston price 365.00 plus seals
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago

Awesome! I have heard of the pistons sticking but, I haven't seen it myself. Just remember you saved yourself at least $5000 doing this repair yourself.

Thanks for the update and if you need help in the future, I hope I can help.

Regard, Don

also about the 935b cat i just changed the tranny filter which the pedal steering valves get the pressure from the filter was the worst clogged filter i have ever seen so if people have low pressure check the tranny filter

Great advice! Don't forget to inspect that filter for the type of debris it has collected. If it is fibrous, it could be a sign of clutch damage. Some newer transmissions use a paper type disc material and it does not work well with water! Anytime the oil becomes contaminated, the water can delaminate the disc and require a rebuild to correct it. Older transmissions had a sintered bronze overlay that was not affected but, it causes heavy wear on other components.

It can be a good indicator of abuse or vandalism should you find strange substances or sand plugging the filter. Older machines only have a screen and newer versions had both.

Your 3DF machine has a screen at the bottom of the transmission behind the cover plate. It includes magnets and can catch metal from anything that might be failing. It too makes a good diagnostic tool.

can u check the magnet filter without changing the tranny fluid , plus i have no idea when the tranny fluid was changed , so would it b ok to change the fluid if it has been a log time ago with out making the tranny slip with new fluid in it

No, the fluid must be drained to remove the screen and magnets. The fluid should be changed every 1000 hours or annually. Use only 30W transmission oil that is equivalent to CAT TDTO or Allison C-4 is ok.

do u know if the new fluid would cause the tranny slip ,because it has not been changed in a very long time that i know of

I have never heard of fresh oil causing any transmission to slip. I would assume just the opposite as old oil has likely lost all of it additives and friction modifiers that help transmissions.

That is one reason the maintenance schedule recommends changing the transmission oil so often. Machines other than dozers can have service intervals at 2000 hours instead of the 1000 hour service a dozer would need.

the screen at the bottom of the tranny ,is it a suction screen for the pressure for the steering valves,if its clogged low pressure yes

Yes, the transmission suction screen is for both transmission pressure and steering "release" valve pressure. Steering clutches are spring applied and the steering valve uses pressure to release the steering clutch and then you manually apply the steering brake to force a sharper turn.

in the book it looks like the suction screen is upper left back of tranny behind a ,it looks like a line coming from the pump

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out with my family.

That sounds like the image from an older model D3. Based on the serial number you posted, I see it is in the bottom of the transmission.

See the attached image. The is for transmission serial numbers 1BA6650 and higher. This serial number may be on a larger serial number tag or on the transmission itself.

is that the back of the tranny , it looks like the flywheel is on the right of the picture

Yes. Item #2 is the seal for the engine flywheel housing.

the suction screen is on the right hand side acording to the picture if the fly wheel is on the right in the picture

No, the screen is in the bottom of the transmission about dead center.

that is for suctionpressure for steering

Yes, all the transmission oil is pulled through the screen to the pump and then the pump sends the oil out to the transmission valve and the steering valves.

o ok and retuns the oil over and over again
i have the same picture ,every time i see it says power train hydraukic system i think of the hydraulic system ,i have 3 books out

CAT calls it "hydraulic" because it uses similar valves to operate the transmission with oil pressure. (ie. relief valve)

The loader control is referred to as the implement hydraulic system and has nothing common to the transmission. CAT prefers separate compartments to prevent cross-contamination when a failure occurs.

Also, your bevel gear is a sperate oil and the final drives are a separate oil.

Completely different from farm tractors.

ok, when i fixed the left steering piston it works good but now the right side works sometimes like the left did could it b pressure still ,i did change the tranny filter it was black real bad thats when the other side started acting up ,also i replaced the piston on the right side the chrome was coming off

"works sometimes" as in, it will stick in the released position or it does not release the steering clutch at all?

Is the linkage working freely? Have you checked pressure to either or both sides for comparison?

it will turn a bit then stop ,the i push the pedal in again and again then it starts to turn again for a while then stops it dose this over and over ,

So you press the pedal and the tractor does not turn but if you press the pedal a few more times it may release the steering clutch and then it will turn correctly. Is this right?

Remove the right steering valve and have the roller replaced. You may also need to replace the cam that activates the steering valve and any other loose linkage.

It is very important the roller, cam, and related steering linkage parts do not have any wear as it will not open the valve completely and this will not allow the steering clutch to release fully. This can cause early wear out if the brakes and overheat the transmission.

i replaced both rollers and the cam to me looked preaty good to me

Then it would be best to install a pressure gauge and verify the pressure is going to the steering valve. You can connect directly into the line to the slave cylinder and see what the pressure is or tee in the line so you can monitor it while it is working.

Also verify the steering clutch rod is the correct length.

With outer pedal against stop, adjust the length of rod so there is a clearance of 0.75 ± 0.75 mm (.029 ± .029 in.) between cam and the roller on the end of the valve group.

any idea where i can get a gauge

Industrial supply stores, some auto supply stores or even your CAT dealer. CAT has a good 500 psi gauge or any gauge the will cover 350 psi will work.

Fabricating a test hose a sourcing the correct fittings may take some time. These old machines did not have much for test ports. Deadhead or tee into a line was how most tests were done.

ok

-