Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 320 CAT excavator is running hot. Hydraulic oil sample…

Customer Question
My 320 CAT excavator...

My 320 CAT excavator is running hot. Hydraulic oil sample showed water in the oil. What should I do next?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the hydraulic pump

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/13/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions and like most places, this is a busy time for everyone.

CAT does not use any water cooling with the hydraulics on the 300 series machines. It is air cooled by the core in front of the radiator.

If you have water in the oil, check the covers under the tread plate over the tank. Otherwise, the water came from a dirty bucket or another contaminated source.

The first thing I look for when I have a complaint of overheating is the seals around the radiator and under the hood. These foam seals block air flow around the radiator from the hot engine and prevent it recirculating back into the radiator.

Next, I look between that oil cooler and the radiator to see how much debris is trapped and blocking air flow.

Then I would look at the fan belt and see if it is tight or glazed from slipping. If the belt is worn, try a new one first. If the new belt is running in the bottom of the pulley groove, then all the pully need replacing.

Airflow and fan/water pump speed is very important in hot weather.

Lastly, if the engine is overloaded and it only overheats when working hard, the pump settings may need to be checked and/or the loading of the pump power reduced to a level the engine can handle.