Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2013 cat 259b3 track loader and it doesn’t seem…

Customer Question
I have a 2013 cat...
I have a 2013 cat 259b3 track loader and it doesn’t seem like any of the fittings on or around the bucket will take grease. The bucket squeaks and squeals as its tilted and operated but why you try to add grease the first or second squeeze starts oozing out of the fitting.So 1-can operating with it squeaking cause damage? And 2-any recommendations for how get it to take grease?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/5/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions and like most places, this is a busy time for everyone.

I would not recommend you keep using it. It needs the grease to prevent excessive wear on the pin and bushings.

Some special tools are available to help force grease into the fitting but, you must have a straight shot at the fitting.

The best way is to remove the pin and clean out all the dirt in the grease passage. However, you can remove the fitting and use a drill to clean out some of the dirt and then fill the passage with penetrating oil to help loosen the rest of the dirt.

The first step I always take is to install a new grease fitting anytime I have trouble with it taking grease. They are too cheap to allow a bigger problem to happen when it doesn't take grease. Also, I always replace the grease coupler on my hose regularly and they can be easily damaged. I keep spares with me just like the extra fittings I keep.

Here is a good tool to help clean and open fittings that are blocked by dirt and dry grease. It even has a hose to help when you can't get to the fitting directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7aoQC81aQg