Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Friend of mine has a 1999 (I think) komatsu PC-159 LC. Story…

Customer Question
Friend of mine has...

Friend of mine has a 1999 (I think) komatsu PC-159 LC. Story goes took off trailer and all the sudden heavy white/blue smoke and zero power. I went and took a quick look and smoke is pure diesel, could choke an elephant. He has already replaced turbo and all injectors. I will vouch for where they came from or there build quality. I am a mechanic but trade and have worked on quite a bit of equipment but wanted to reach out here first as to not waste any time as machine is in the field a would be a difficult moves is needed. I know this is limited info but any help in the right direction would be great! Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

PC 150-LC. I do not have the serial # on me right now

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Should of read that “ I will NOT vouch for where turbo and injectors cam from” sorry.
8/31/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc..Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Is this a dash 5 or 6 machine? Got a serial number?

I want to say it is a 6 but cannot verify that until tomorrow. I will also try to find serial tag tomorrow. Thanks

This is a – five machine with an in-line injection pump then there will be an electronic governor to control your throttle and RPM. You will first want to make sure that the electronic throttle control is responding from the idle position all the way up to full throttle with somebody in the cab moving the throttle control and somebody monitoring at the injection pump. If you are getting full throttle control then you want to check and verify that you have good fuel supply and check to see if you are sucking air or have any restrictions or leaks in the fuel system. Install a clear hose or site glass on the section and the return side to monitor for air bubbles as there should be little to none. If none is found and your supply is good but you are having this problem you can further confirm by running out of a separate fuel source or container. If the problem still exist it is likely inside the injection pump and injectors. The injection pump produces the high pressure to pop off the injection nozzles, if the pump is weak you will get poor fuel delivery as well as if the nozzles are plugged up you will get poor fuel atomization. So if either is the case, they should be done at the same time.

Even if it was a – six they both have basically the same fuel system. It would also be an in-line injection pump so the troubleshooting would the same. You want to make sure your fuel supply is good as you could have a week transfer pump not supplying enough fuel to the injection pump. However if this is confirmed okay then the problem is going to be between the injection pump and injectors and less of course the engine itself is tired and there is weak compression in any of the cylinders. If you bring a digital temperature reader to shoot and take exhaust port temperatures to see if you might have a cold cylinder compared to the rest which would indicate weak combustion and that cylinder that could be from either an injector issue or injection pump plunger and barrel issue or a compression issue indicating a tired engine. This is where you will want to start.

Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

It does have the electronic governor and have ck’d that throttle works as should. Machine revs just fine, just the massive amount of smoke and bogs out as soon as any power needed weather moving or digging. I would of thought and over fuel problem instead of under fuel do to smoke but will ck as you suggest. That electronic governor also is hooked into the waste gate on turbo, any poss issues there to ck for?

I would also take a close look at the turbo and be sure that the compressor wheel spins freely and since you mention there is a wastegate on the turbo I would make sure that that is not jammed. Check and see if that is opened up all the way and not causing a restriction in the exhaust messing with the air fuel ratio. Also through the intake boot make sure that there is no damage to the compressor wheel and that it has no drag when spun by hand nor does it contact the housing or have excessive end play or side play

Hay Dan, stoped buy machine and got you the proper info.
PC 150LC-6K
Serial - K30781

Thanks for the update. The initial checks are the same. Also you can access parts breakdowns as well clicking below.

Parts

My availability will be sketchy over the weekend as I have family obligations for the holiday weekend but we can follow up as needed.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.