Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Curtis, We have a 2005 JD 240 skid steer and it has been…

Hello Curtis, Mechanic's Assistant:...

Hello Curtis,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

We have a 2005 JD 240 skid steer and it has been slowly overheating and getting worse. We have pressure washed the radiator and replaced the thermostat but problem continues. Used to be only when we used hi demand hydraulic attachments but not it doesn't matter what attachment we use machine overheats after 30 min - 1 hour of operation on med throttle. I was going to replace the water pump?

8/23/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Have you taken a laser heat gun and checked to see where the heat is the hottest? Harbor Freight, about $20. The water pump is not usually a problem on a slow overheat. If the pump was not circulating, you get a rapid overheat, same with a bad cylinder head or head gasket. This skid steer uses the oil cooler mounted at the engine oil filter housing, and the hydraulic oil can overheat the engine. Is fan belt tight enough the fan can't be rotated by hand under the belt?

Hello Curtis,
Thanks for your advice. I will pickup the temp gun and check the belt but I believe it is tight.

K>

I see the question is still open?

Curtis, Found the issue this weekend. The radiator between the air conditioning coil and main radiator was clogged with dirt except for 15%. we cleaned everything and it runs super cool now.
Thanks,Dino

Good job! Please use the 5-star rating chart to close the question and get me credit! Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Thanks!