Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am trying to get a 2006 JCB 214 backhoe to start.

Hi. i am...

Hi. i am trying to get a 2006 JCB 214 backhoe to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

SLP214TC6U90379

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sort of playing with it first before i call a dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Machine was running fine until i blew a hydraulic line. Has not run in about 2 weeks. Can hear relays click when key is turned. Replace battery. Charged battery. Jumpered 12V to starter relay which works but engine doesnt turn over. Battery is at 12.8 VDC on VOM which seems low. Battery is on charge now.

8/5/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

If jumping at the starter relay did not engage the starter, the relay is bad, or the starter is bad. The relay should send direct battery voltage to the starter, eliminating everything else. Jump relay and see if the voltage goes to the starter. If it does, the starter is not working.

Thanks. The starter solenoid engages but starter doesn’t turn. I will drop the starter and see if it will run off of the machine. Bucket is down of course and I can’t get to the terminals to clean them up. They look pretty corroded from what I can see. How does a mechanic operate the hydraulics on a machine that doesn’t run. Guessing that there is a place to tap in an external hydraulic power supply? Sure would be easier if I could raise the bucket. Thanks, Joel

The usual way is to use another machine to raise the boom or a hoist. The hydraulic levers have to be moved to let the pressure off the cylinders as the boom is raised.

Starter seems to work OK on the bench. All of the terminals on the starter solenoid were corroded. Cleaned everything but found a 150 amp fuse corroded such that one terminal was 90% gone. Have cleaned everything up and will look for a new fuse on line. Last concern is that the positive cable at the battery is a repair type connection that clamps on the stranded battery cable wire. Think that I will replace also. No visible corrosion there but they have never impressed me as being that good of a connection. Thanks for your help!
Joel

Those battery ends are for temporary use only. never good for continuous duty, and cause many no starts!

A wise man once said “How come it seems that there is never time to do it right but always time to do it over?”

Sometimes a little more time saves time!

I see the question is still open.??

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician