Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

873 skid loader just quit running have no electral. Model…

Customer Question
873 skid loader just...

873 skid loader just quit running have no electral

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 873 serial number###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes checked battery its ok checked all oil its ok but does it have a reset button some where

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

It just quit running thought it was the battery or alternator

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2018
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 4 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, is your 873 an F Series machine or a G Series? I have to know because they are totally different when it comes to wiring. Your serial number range is right around the time Bobcat was coming out with the G Series machine in that model, but it still may be an F Series, I can't tell for sure.

how can I tellF series

Sorry for the delay, the wife wanted to step out and get something to eat, just got back.

Ok, F series. First, you're going to need a 12V test light with a sharp pointed probe on the end to probe wires. Of course, make sure your battery connections aren't the problem. I know you mentioned that in your first post, but make sure. Turn on your ignition switch and leave it on, don't try to start yet, we just want to put some amp load on the circuits with the key on. Also, very important, check your battery ground cable where it connects to and grounds the frame/chassis, loss of ground there will kill everything.

Take your test light and verify you're getting power to the battery positive post at the starter. If you're good there, take your test light probe and probe those red wires that are connected to that terminal, that's where your cab power supply comes from. I've seen those wires make poor connections inside the crimp, that's why you need to probe the wires to verify they're getting power.

If good there, check fuse #5, that's the fuse sending power to the cab. Even pull the fuse box out and with your probe, probe the wires on the back side of the fuse to verify they transfer power thorough.

Next place to check, raise the cab. Locate that bundle of wires coming down from the back of the cab near the cab hinge. Follow that bundle of wires down until you come to the C114 connector. Locate the red/white wire on each side of the connector, probe that wire on each side of the connector to verify power transfer.

From there that red wire goes to the B terminal of the ignition switch.

That should give you some things to check. In the meantime I've got to get outside and mow the grass before dark, I'll be back later to check your progress.

Will work on it tomorrow afternoon have plans tonight and church tomorrow

Sounds good, that should give you something to work with. BTW, fuse #5 is the 15 amp fuse marked "Engine" at the top right corner of the fuse panel.

Also, should have mentioned this earlier, the info I provided is for a standard 873 with key switch ignition and does not have BOSS diagnostics feature. If your machine has BOSS diagnostics there may be other things we have to look at if we find power getting to the key switch.