Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Bobcat 763 year 2000 no computer readings, it will run but…

Customer Question
Bobcat 763 year 2000...

Bobcat 763 year 2000 no computer readings, it will run but no computer lights on the dashboard. Cannot release the translock because no reading on the computer. We need to move it. Cannot figure it out? Your thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Hold on for a minute

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
8/3/2018
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 4 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, is that a G series machine?

Just to confirm, are you saying you can actually start it and make it run from the cab controls, but once you get it running there's nothing that lights up on the BICS panel?

No. From the battery. None of the computer dashboard works.

Ok, is that a G series machine?

I'm not around the machine. Not sure. Gave you the serial number and the model. Sorry

For some reason the serial number isn't showing on my end. Do you recall if it has triangle shaped headlights or rectangle shaped headlights.

is the serial #

Ok, that should be a G series machine according to that serial number, you might want to confirm that the next time you're around the machine. The F series machine has rectangle shaped headlights and the G series machine has triangle shaped headlights. This is important to know as the wiring is completely different on the two models, no similarity whatsoever.

Assuming we're working on a G series, BICS panel and hour meter on left panel, key switch or keypad on right panel, and you have nothing responding or lighting up at either panel. The first thing you need to check are your battery connections, especially that bundle of ground wires that connects to the negative battery terminal, but check both positive and negative terminals as well.

Second thing to check is that red wire that comes off of the positive battery terminal, not the battery cable itself, it's another smaller cable that comes off the positive battery terminal and goes to a 100 amp fuse just above the battery, make sure that fuse isn't blown and use a test light to verify power is going through that fuse.

Next thing to check is raise the cab. Locate the harness wires to go to the cab. Standing at the front of the machine looking back you'll see that bundle of cable going down the back wall on your right. Follow that bundle of wires downward until you come to a large connector just above the hydraulic tank. You need to test wires that are red, red/white, or red/orange, that would be the wires that send power to the cab. Use a sharp point probe test light to probe the wires before they go into the connector and out the other side to verify power is passing through connector.

Start with those test and let me know how you make out.

It is a g series with rectangle lights yes great info that will help thankyou. Also the small red wire coming off off the battery that you talked about,where is it suppose to go it is just hanging there I need to know where it is suppose to go that is more than likely the problem

Ok, just to be sure that I'm on the same page as you, are you saying that there are two cables connected to the positive battery terminal, one being the (large) battery cable going to the starter and the other a (smaller) cable that isn't connected to anything?

Correct

Well, that's a problem, and I sincerely ***** *****'s your only problem, if it is it will fix you up. The 100 amp master fuse is located just above the battery and underneath the air cleaner housing. It's inside a black rectangular plastic box, appx 1 1/2" wide x 4" long. Hard for me to explain but the cover snaps off and drops downward which opens up to show the fuse inside. Once you get that cover off you'll see the terminal that the smaller cable from the positive battery terminal connects to. That's the cable that supplies all power, other than the starter, to everything on the machine. I have to say I've never seen that cable broken or disconnected on a Bobcat, that's a first for me. I'm going to attempt to attach a pic of where that master fuse is located. It's not real clear, but I grabbed it right from the 763G manual, it's all I've got to show where it's located, item 1 with arrow pointing to it. Hopefully this gets you burning diesel once again.

The terminal nut that connects that cable to the master fuse is 13mm hex head nut.

Any news on fixing your machine, did the info I provided help?

He's going to look at it tomorrow.
Ok, I was just curious if you had it fixed yet