Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2014 Cat 302.7D mini excavator with 3,900 hrs that…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 Cat 302.7D mini excavator with 3,900 hrs that has several issues. The left track is very week. The right track will not move at all unless I curl the bucket. When I curl the bucket it will move forward when pulling the lever backward. The blade works great down but will not go up unless I run the right track, and when it does decide to come up it is very slow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Awesome, thank you Sir

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced the hydraulic filter in the reservoir and drained and refilled the fluid in the reservoir. It did not have any debris when I opened it up and replacing the filter did not help any of the issues.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/24/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc.. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

I see that you service the hydraulic oil and filter already. I wish I would've been in contact with you before draining the system because when you have a hydraulic problem such as this you want to open up the old filter and cut a decent size sample out of the filter media and after squeezing out the excess oil from it in a vice you then want to check that filter media for fine metal which will look like glitter in the oil or filter. Most of the time when a pumper component fails it will show up is fine metal and not always big pieces. You will see what looks like glitter in the oil and in the corners of the filter media. If you have the old filter I recommend opening it up to take a closer look. If that is clean because what you're describing is common for a pump issue. If the pump is not producing metal nor is another component then the problem is likely in the control valve or a possible relief valve issue. Usually when you have to pull another function to get another function to work it is a pump control issue or a pump that's failing. On excavators the functions are split between two main pumps coupled together so when you run multiple functions there is enough flow for multiple functions to run at the same time. However when you lose one half of that pump assembly which is one pump then one pump is not stroking to provide enough flow of oil. That's when you pull a lever and it speeds up the function because it is stroking off of one pump.

So the symptoms you describe you will want to check that both sides of that pump are getting signal pressure for full stroke and if not you can have a pilot pressure or signal pressure issue. If that is okay you will want to check your control valve and relief valve cartridges for any damaged O-rings or debris causing them to stick open which will also cause potential loss of hydraulic functions.

If you confirm you have good pressures and the excavator bucket functions operate normal then the majority of travel related problems are caused by failed Rotary manifold seals. Replacing the Rotary manifold seals are one of the first steps in troubleshooting a travel problem. The Rotary manifold allows the excavator to swing 360° and when the seals go it allows pressure to bypass to another port causing your travel pressures to deadhead against each other in different ports thus creating a travel issue. This is usually when all functions are normal with exception to travel because it's highly unlikely to drive motors would fail at one time unless you have a major failure that's producing metal in the system. Let's start there and we can follow up as needed. Please take a moment to rate my answers is that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated

Great information and it all makes sense. Do you know what the test port fittings on this machine are called? I have a local hydraulic shop I plan to try in the morning to see if I can get a gauge set up, but they are a commercial/plant type shop. I know they get some local guys in there working on equipment like this but I don't plan on them knowing the fitting I would need to attached to the Caterpillar test ports. Again, thank you for your time. This is great information.
Copy and paste this link.https://www.ebay.com/p/Parker-PD242-Female-Coupler-Cat-Caterpillar-Hydraulic-Test-Fittings/1307774903
Thank you again for the information on the fitting. I had a test setup made with the Parker PD fitting but it did not fit. My machine has a "Stauff Test 20" fitting. I don't see a Parker or Dixon fitting that will fit it yet. Do you have any recommendations for either finding the Stauff fitting or a comparable?
http://www.ca.stauff.com/index.php?id=999