Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Curtis. got D6T KJL perfix. Active code 268-2. D6T LPG.

Hi Curtis. got D6T...

Hi Curtis. got D6T KJL perfix. Active code 268-2.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

D6T LPG. KJL00677

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check fluid levels, fuses, codes 248-2 each time it shut down. Check program parameter and inj. Trim files. FLS files not program.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's ok

7/17/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Are the FLS and FTS numbers entered in the ECM?

Was the ECM replaced recently?

Is this or was this a test ECM? Was it used in a different machine?

Are you using a current version of ET?

Did you perform a Product Configuration download perform this repair was started?

Have you tried uploading the ECM configuration file to this ECM?

Can you download and post a Product Status Report here so I can review the file?

If this is the original engine (S/N THX14752) your FLS is -22 and your FTS is 51. Any alteration of this numbers may cause a failed configuration and you wll need factory password ***** to correct it. In other words, the dealer will be needed to correct it.

FTS is set at 51. FLS is say it's not programmed. I new it was the problem. Needed a second opinion. One day works fine next day this code and dozer shutdown. ThanksIf I set the FLS to -22 thing should work fine? Wont need to flash ecm.

It should work if you can get the number to enter correctly. Sometimes the ECM will require passwords if you do not enter them during the installation. Most ECMs will run with missing information for about 100 hours, then it will derate or shutdown due to emissions non-compliance.

It may require a password ***** though and even flashing the software may not let you program it. The only other way is using the ECM config file that should have been downloaded before the ECM was replaced.

Sunday I notice the problem and install a random value to FLS file. Ecm reject the value and install factory value of -22. I accept look like ecm accept but at startup value was back at not progrannI did go through configuration sub routine to chance the value. Ecm didn't ask for factory password

I would try to flash it again and then install the config file again and see it if will take it. If flash again and manual install all config info and perform a manual timing calibration.

I had one so picky it would not run the timing calibration and I had to run a different engine config to get a timing reference into the ECM and then install all the old config files by hand.

Can get the phone sub routine going. Can you give me a call I'm at **************. Thanks

I am sorry, I am not set up for phone calls. I will OPT-OUT of the question if you must talk to someone.

Your doing fine. It's the original ecm. 8400 h. Just have this active code. Eng start up fine run 30 sec. Then rpm goes low then pick up a few time then shut down. Then I got logged code 248-2.I check wires 892 and 893. Test was fineActive code 268-2 on all time

Can you send me the product status report?

What has happened in the past 100 hours?

I believe this is a known issue but not published with all machines listed. I have found several letters about this issue and one specifically describes your problem. Many are related to C7 and C9 engines but, I did not see one for D6T. Apparently, it can happen to any machine engine. See below.

Problem

The ECM of certain machine engines have lost the configuration parameters such as FLS, FTS, and trim codes for the injector. Other required configuration parameters that are stored in the engine ECM can also be affected.

The internal battery for the ECM does not supply sufficient voltage to protect the configuration parameters when the machine battery disconnect switch is open.

Solution

If the parameters that are programmed into the ECM cannot be reset with Caterpillar Electronic Technician Cat (ET), replace the ECM. Also, a ticket for these repairs must be entered into the Service Information Management System (SIMS).

Also, your version of ET is so old, I don't think it will allow you to work on newer engines. 2014 is a minimum these days.

Problem

Solution

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thanks the help. I did take the pic. From a holder ET but I was troublesooting with 2017A ET. I did call finning to try to flash ecm. Thanks again.