Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Seat safety switch on a bobcat. 773. I an trying to, their…

Customer Question
Seat safety switch on...

Seat safety switch on a bobcat

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

773

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I an trying to, their is 3 wires going to it. i can set in the seat and all of the green lights lite up for a second and the seat light goes out,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can give you a phone # if you want it

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/3/2018
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 4 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Must be an older C series 773, if I recall correctly Bobcat quit using the seat switch on the later F series machines. You can tell a C series by the rear door, the top part of the rear door is a separate black colored piece that is attached to the lower orange colored door, that upper black portion also houses the work lights. For your seat switch, yes, they were problematic, I think that's why Bobcat quit using them when the started producing the F series. One thing I can tell you is there's no method to "bypass" the seat switch as it's a Hall Effect switch/circuit, simply jumping wires won't work. Basically your choices are replace the seat switch, and make sure the seat frame itself is in good shape, it has to move up and down to trip the switch, if there's an obstruction under the seat that won't allow full movement to engage the switch you'll have problem, likewise a seat slider frame that's in poor shape will do the same.

The best alternative, and it's been years since I've worked on one of these models, but Bobcat used to supply a "delete kit" of a sorts to do away with the seat switch entirely. Been too many years ago so I don't recall the part number, but if it were me I'd be calling my Bobcat dealer and inquiring about that kit. If it's still available it'll save you a bunch of grief with that switch. Otherwise your best option is to replace the switch and make sure the seat and slider frame is in good shape. That's the two options I would look at as there's no repairing it, it's either replace it or get rid of it if that option is still available from Bobcat.