Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Been reading all the blogs.One of them you were helping.My…

Hi.My name is *****...

Hi.My name is ***** ***** all the blogs.One of them you were helping.My problem is simalar if not the same.It,s a dozy for me.I,ve already tried most everything the experts have suggested and still no go forward.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It,s a 1979 straight John Deere 410 backhoe.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

It,s a long story.Might as well get started.

jd 410 backhoe.Wont go forward
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
7/2/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Hi.My name is***** phone is(###) ###-####

Give me the story. It will go in reverse, but not forward? Do you have neutral or does it move in reverse when in neutral? Does it lock up when you go to forward? The reverse clutch pack is locked and keeps engaged in neutral, and when the forward clutch is engaged, the two cutches are working against each other. Repair is to repair the reverse clutch.

I have neutral .Dosent lock up in forward.Just nothing.Just got serial number 410-D 317088t

So it is a 410 D, not an older 410?

Apparently.I always thought it was a straight 410.Parts I have been getting have been for 410 and have always worked. I know it,s a 1979

Is transmission direct mounted to the engine, or is there a short drive shaft from engine to transmission.

Apparently.I always thought it was a straight 410.Parts I have been getting have been for 410 and have always worked. I know it,s a 1979 Yes it is attached to engine directly.Sorry not impressed with there website.I,ll get it.Yes the engine bolts up direct to trany. I had jd split and relace 1st gear shaft and new dry clutch and look things over a couple years ago.Dont know exacaty what they changed,but they had o.k. from me to do what was needed.

Directly attached is the 410. the 410 D has the drive shaft. Has the clutch pressures been checked for forward and reverse?

Sorry not impressed with there website.I,ll get it.Yes the engine bolts up direct to trany. I had jd split and relace 1st gear shaft and new dry clutch and look things over a couple years ago.Dont know exacaty what they changed,but they had o.k. from me to do what was needed. No.That was next thing I,m going to try.Just ordered a pressure tester today.
I,ve been studying ,reading blogs.I have parts catalog.I read an answer on a blog that the guy said"theres a pin in reverser that sometimes breaks.Think he was talking about reverser control valve.Can,t find it again.That would be my last thing I thing I can do before a split of machine,and into uncharted territory for me.I,ve been studying ,reading blogs.I have parts catalog.I read an answer on a blog that the guy said"theres a pin in reverser that sometimes breaks.Think he was talking about reverser control valve.Can,t find it again.That would be my last thing I thing I can do before a split of machine,and into uncharted territory for me. I keep trying to send and it wont. anyway...When this all happened I,d been having trouble with dipper and it was curling in all by itself.I was digging with it and bearly came back in.Got it back up and went to moving some buckets of dirt.Got done.Took it back to house and turned it off.Next morning jumped into it and started would,nt to eighter way .Checked oil and it was low

The clutch pressure check will determine if the shifter is moving the spool for forward and reverse. Did it fail all at once, or get worse over time.

It got worse overnite.

Any debris if you drained the oil?

It got worse overnite. I,ll finsh what I was saying.Oil was just a little below last mark.Put in oil and it would go in reverse and just a little bit in forward.Drove it around in morning,but did,nt have power to do anything.Brought back to house and it has,nt budged in forward since.No debris in screen at all.Changed filter.When I did that I took out the wrong bolt to drain.Relief valve.Bolt and spring came out is what i saw.So thats what I put back.Needed some parts,so Bought a new gasket for the bolt while I was at it.Saw on my parts catalog that there was suposed to be a valve.Looked in buckets that I drained.No good.Bought new one and put it in.Was running without valve for awhile.
Take that back.When I started it the 3 hoses were leaking and I had to do whole thing over.200 miles to civilization for me why did,nt change them,and on Sat. Just thought I,d mention that.I don,t think I lost it though. Dipper valve had fallen apart. Cap on bottom was gone.Big acorn nut.Nothing let but spool hanging for shifting levers.Changed that with whole new used and tested one.Works great.Seems to have gotten rid of the morning chatter too.All leaks fixed.I am going to change another one on loader thats been bad for awhile.Have looked over linkage .Everything seems to be working fine.One more thing.About year ago starter quit working and came out of it.Now starter not working again,and I have to do the screw driver thing.Just trying to give the facts.maybe some that makes sense to yous
I think your right about checking pressure is next move.I,ll get right on it when I get kit.Main pump was changed by deere couple years ago,but don,t trust that they put new one in.Guess pressure test will tell us something.Also.it never slipped before this.I saw no hydo fluid or parts when this happened.No smells of burning,or hot. Thanks for bearing with me.I,m pretty frazzeled.

OK< Transmission has it's own pump, behind the front housing with the clutch. The main pump driven off the front of the crankshaft runs the loader/backhoe.

Yeah.Was talking about main one.Always was worried about trans pump,but we tested it at around 8 gallon at 1500 rpm. Test was supposed to be at higher rpm but too messy. Thanks for reply. .Guess I.ll have to wait on kit now.Praying the fittings that comes with it work.Whats the chances? O.K.Good luck to ALL.!!! Talk soon. John

OK> Let me know.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Hi Curtis.Got my Pressure tester today. Trying to get courage up to go out in 100 degree heat.Was going to hook up to the reverser clutch control valve.Has 2 drain plugs on top.No,31 and 29 on page 35-10 of my parts catalog.Is this the proper place to try. Thanks John
Curtis are you still with me? John with jd backhoe problem

Yes, still around!

Oh Boy Good..Man was starting to panic.This website gives me troble and wife wont help.Got the pressure tester today.Not sure where to hook it up.What should I do next?

Sorry, I replied but I see it didn't go thru. Yes, try the 31 and 29 plugs and see if you get any reading. Crank engine and move f/r lever to see if it changes.

Oh Thankyou. They called them drain plugs.I tried the drain plug on back and got nothing,but I did,nt move anything just started it. I,ll go back and try again.Does it matter witch one I try?
Well.Got the forward one out.Really hard to get to.Oil coming out. Too much oil? Don,t think I can get hydrolic fitting into hole because of a hard line hydo hose in the way. Can try again but not optomistic.Is there another place I can try?

I see no other places that would be test ports. 31 by description has to deal with reverse. I do see # 27 on the bottom,

Thanks so much.I went back out and took the rear{31} plug back out.Tried to put in test plug.No good.Wrong fittings.Think I can do it with the right fitting,but still have to put test hose to gauge on after that.Not sure about that,but I,ll give er a try.Looks like another road trip tomorrow. Thanks again. John

OK>

I saw 27 plug you were talking about.Not the one I took out.The one I tried was15 on the next page 35-11.Think I should try that no.27?

SUre, why not.

LOL.I knew you were going to say that. Another hydrolic bath! O.K.
Tried to try.Same fitting.Oil just dripped out.Can take that plug with me anyway.

OK< so you need different fitting.

Hi Curtis.Well on hundred mile trip to pick up a fitting.Could,nt find one in one piece.Guy put a couple fittings together for me,and I tried,but no way. Went and saw my mechanic that did the transmission a couple years ago,and he sat down with me on his computer for over a halve hour and we both are thinking it,s reverser control valve.Theres two spools in there with pins on the end.Think forward one broke which is why I have reverse and no forward.Wish I could of tested first.Taking it down now.Found a used one.When I finish getting it down.{oil still draining} Might pull it apart and see what I can see.Before I order the used one.Wanted to let you know still at it.Slow going out in this desert with 100 degree temps.I,ll keep you updated.Thanks for sticking with me. John

!! Thanks for the update!

Hi Curtis.Thought I,d touch base.Still waiting for one spool valve ,reverser control,and gaskets.Started taking hoses off to get ready.Took old reverser control valve apart and did,nt see anything wrong with it.Hoping there is something.Wondering if there is anywhere I can get pressure reading besides the reverser control.Was thinking of maybe hooking up gauges on reverser control when I reinstall,and just leave them on there.Thanks again for helping me. John

Can you air check the f/r clutches through the holes under the reverser?

I Do have a compresser. Have old reverser off right now..Gaskets getting mailed again today. Good idea.

OK>

Hi Curtis.Got all parts yesterday.Gaskets and reverser control.Got the valves and hoses on loader back together.Have to scrape gasket material off reverser and get her ready to put in this morning.Havent air checked yet.Not sure how to do it,or if I need to put reverser back in first.Hoping all goes well.Any suggestions ?

There will be ports under the reverser, that you can blow air in. You should hear the f/r clutches engage when you find the right ports. Check it before you install the reverser if you can.

Hi Curtis.Got parts cleaned up and ready to go,and they did,nt send one gasket which I need.And those gaskets were for just putting the old one back together.Should,nt have even needed it.Reverser came with plate that goes to engine missing.Can use my old one,but need the gasket now.Anyway...I could air test,and was excited to try it,and can,t find the ports.Also was wondering about gasket sealer.Use,not use,and what type would you recommend? Thanks John

I would not use a sealer of any kind unless you are using an old or damaged gasket, Then I would use one of the Permatex, Ultra series of silicon, which will seal even in oil.

The surface on the new reverser where the missing plate goes it pretty scratched up is why I asked,and my old one had a few gaskets siliconed too.Both have been apart before.Looked at my parts book and cant find test ports.

On the transmission housing will be ports, they won't be marked or identified, But just blow air in them, two will go to the clutch packs. You should hear/feel the clutch pack engage.

Curtis,I,ve looked and looked and cant find a place to hook up to that makes any sense to me. waiting for 1 gasket and I,ll be ready to put reverser control back on.

OK>

Hi Curtis.Been studying.Found out the plate I did,nt get with reverser is suposed to stay on block when removing because there are 5 tubes behind it that are a bitch to get lined up and back together.The tubes are also where you air test.Have to get a rubber fitting for my air gun tomorrow,and I have the first gasket to put plate back on.Other gasket should be in Friday.Have an all day trip to go get it.Lots of spinning my wheels here.Driving me crazy.Anywat thats where I,m at.Will keep you up to date.Thanks again. John

OK> Sounds like you are getting there!

Boy I hope so.Feel like I,m in diesel mechanic school studying for a test. Thanks John

!! Thanks.

Curtis I found old blow gun with right tip.Blew air into tubes I did,nt hear or see anything happen. ?? Does it have to be in gear?Curtis I found old blow gun with right tip.Blew air into tubes I did,nt hear or see anything happen. ?? Does it have to be in gear? Clutch in?? Think all of the tubes are in place pretty good,so am in process of taking old plate off and cleaning and getting ready to put that on over the tubes,with new gasket to get that out of way. John
Hi Curtis.Been crazy here.Got gaskets and put reverser almost all the way on,except for the end cap and last two bolts,because I still need one gasket.Ordered it and should be in Burley today. Another 2 1/2 hour drive each way.We have a 120,000 + fire here,and getting worse.Bringing in the top guns today.Smokey for days.Can,t even drive the way I usually go.Thought I,d touch base.Slow going out here in desert. Hope all good with you. John

!! Wow, be careful!

Just got back.Smoke everywhere.Should be able to tell you something tomorrow. John

OK>

Hi Curtis.Got everything back together.Still have a few leaks that I,ll deal with tomorrow.Too dark and too tired.New valves seem to work good.Had to adjust linkage a little to hook back up.No slop in the forward reverse lever anymore.Always went down too far in reverse.Started in and put in gear and had nothing.Tried a few times and it turned slowly in reverse .Got it to turn a little in forward once,but very slow.Put in reverse and turned slowly too.Got out and stopped tire by hand..Can hear reverser clicking into gear when I move shifter.Feels tighter than old one. One of the rods to reverser linkage was all the way out to the point it could,nt go any farther.Had to adjust it in a bit to get it hooked back up.Think I,m getting close,but something I,m missing.Dont know. Wondering if anyway I can disconnect linkage and put in gear manually?Have a service manual on the way.I thank you again for sticking with me.I will make it right with you. Fire is still going.Around 500 people on it.12,000 some acres last time I checked.Smoky everywhere.Talk tomorrow. John

You should be able to unhook linkage and shift it manually at the transmission. Sounds like the reverser is working.

Morning Curtis.Got leaks fixed.Started up.Hydrolics working good.Put in gear.Nothing worked at first then started moving tires slowly in reverse.Shift to forward ,still moves slowly in reverse.Havent tryed disconecting linkage yet.Kind of wanted my friend to be here ,because don,t trust my wife.Any sugestions?

Pressure gage attached? Any pressure around 200 psi?

No pressure gauge attached yet.Mechanic that worked on it couple years ago printed me out a couple sheets yesterday.Think it was for hooking up to the main pump.Dont believe thats the problem,but I can try.Was going to look and see if I can disconnect linkage without disconnecting clutch so I can still put it in gear.With electrical problem I still have I can start in gear anyway I guess.My Buddy stopping over later to give me a hand.What do you think?

I would want to know if I have good pressure. Not going to work with low pressures.

OK.I,ll see if I can hook up to main pump.Wife is contacting the place I got my pressure gauge kit to see if I can get the right fitting to hook up to reverser control valve. Thanks

OK> Thanks. Off to go grocery shopping!

Back..Well..Tired to test the port that I already tried,but did,nt put in gear the first time.Still nothing.Found a website that sells a a hydrolic adapter kit .There website sucks.Have to call them in a minute.Buddy came over,and showed him what I,ve been doing.Lifted bucket ,and went threw paces.Then last thing I did was try to lift machine off ground and would,nt do it.Hummm?Don,t trust place that worked on it a couple years ago.They said they put a new pump in it,and I had to retighten 3 of the plugs on it soon after.I never did believe it was a new pump.They gave me my old pump back,which was new acording to the guy I bought it from,and never had a problem with it until they worked on it changing first gear shaft.Old pump burned up last year when garage burnt down.So if thats it I would be happy.Have to test I know.Have to get right fittings still,but wanted to tell ya what I,ve been going through.Been trying my best.I,ll let you know of any new developments.Thanks again. John

OK> I'm retired and have plenty of time!

Thats good.I,m a retired commercial fisherman,and I,m working harder than ever.Got a guy bringing me a clutch slave cylinder for a 65 2 ton water truck. 2 9/16 bolts,brake line.Need a morale boost.I think I can do it.lol.Talk at ya soon.

I'm 72 and still buying junk and fixing it for sale!

That,s cool. I like doing that too.Good thing because after the fire,thats all I have left is the "junk".Keep on keeping on!

YEp!

Hi Curtis.Finally got fittings.Now have to get at it again.I think I put the loader control valves on switched around.Have to drain ,unhook all hoses take down,take apart and reassemble.They look alike,but my part numbers are a little different.Loader lifts,but seems to curl bucket too.Going to fix that before I move on.Might be cause of no power to bucket.I,m hoping.I,ll let you know what happens.

OK>

Good morning Curtis.Been super busy.My valve adapter kit finally came and it was,nt right.Sent it back.Got my valves straightened out.Front and back working good.Front bucket jacks hoe off the ground.Still wont move in forward or reverse.Stumped again.Only thing I can think of is that valve in filter housing that I found missing when I used that plug to drain oil,and replaced.Only thing thats different from the way it was.Any ideas?
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago

Any pressure to the f/r clutch packs?

No none.Cant test it,but no response at all.Rear tire goes in reverse slowly,all by itself. You can stop it by hand.Tomorrow morning going to take out that plug and hope for one that maybe?I put the new vale in upside down? If not going to take it out and try it like it used to be......And I found in my new book the test kits john deere made for this critter with part numbers....So if no luck tomorrow I,ll have to order their kit if they have one,and try to get a pressure test on it like you,ve been telling me.Been trying buddy

K>

Good morning Curtis.No luck here.Drained oil again.Took out plug with spring and relief valve.Valve was in correct.made sure nothing else in there.Put back together without relief valve and made no difference.Stumped.

you had the transmission apart and checked the internal pump and replaced the torque converter?

I broke first gear a few years ago.JD fixed it.Internal pump is pumping.Dont know about torque converter.I know we changed dry clutch.The mechanic said clutches looked good and he put in new springs.
I did,and it was spotless.Clean screen and all new filters.

Did you ever find any pressure?

Have good pressure to bucket and digger.I,m going to try and get that JD test kit.I think pump is good though.Used to have full power in reverse,but no forward.Now no forward or reverse.Start it up with wheels off the ground ,and it just rotates the rear tires slowly in reverse. Only other thing is since I started working on it the starter button dosent work,and have to jump starter with screw driver.Had that problem before and it never affected anything else. So dont thing that has anything to do with it. ?????

Would not think the key has any effect. No solenoids on the transmission. FEL and backhoe function have there own separate pump. Transmission pump is internal to the transmission, and after looking, you have no torque converter.

Say if I did,nt have pressure at reverser control valve ports.27 31 I think...Then what would be cause?Working on the test kit.Going to JD tomorrow and see if I can beg or borrow or buy what I need.They used to have a big bench tester with a big stand with draws and everything.Thats not happening.They do sell a bunch of individual parts.Fittings} I,ll see if my old mechanic will help me order what I need.Going to read book on adjusting linkage.The new reverser was a little tighter,if thats how you describe it,and I had to adjust one rod a little to hook it back up.But everything looked good and was tight.Guess I,ll put that check valve back in where as that made no difference.Anything else I can try the rest of day?

I'm at a loss, it has to have pressure for the reverser or reverse and forward will not engage and drive the gearbox. I'm just not sure the pump is working!

Hi Curtis. Getting slow start here.Wife needed my truck.Heading to Elco to John Deere to talk to my mechanic about if the pump was a new one they put on,and if he would lend me the fittings I need to test,or help me order the right ones out of this book I have.....My friend Brent and myself believe the pump is working but oil not getting to transmission.One guys problem that was like mine,came back on at end of his ordeal and said he problem turned out to be a stuck valve.I could check valves when I drain the oil again if I knew which ones they are,and where there at I,ll fill ya in when I get home tonight. Thanks again. John

OK>

Good morning Curtis.Long day yesterday,and long story.Anyway saw my old mechanic in Elco.He lent me his tester hose that he uses.Put it on this morning before I drained hydrolic oil again to put that check valve back in.Went pretty good,but no pressure.Did,nt even budge.I,ll put the check valve back in and try again,but think gauge would have showed something.Hoe worked and bucket lifted front tires off ground.Cant figure why I dont have reverse anymore.He got the page 35-9 up on computer.{clutch discs ect.}And he said that number 8 is a piston,and the O rings in that could of let go which means splitting machine.He said it was a new pump that they put in,and not a used one.Dont have fitting to check out the pump.One other thing he said I could try is cracking the pressure line to reverser control valve.Did,nt do that yet.So thats where I,m at.

OK> I'm thinking it is the pump. Maybe new, but maybe sucking air or is not being turned. You know it is going to require splitting the machine!

Boy sure hope you are right,but why would I have good power to dipper,stabilizers,and bucket? The little gear pump in trans is just to prime the main pump.

I didn't think this model does that. Newer models do.

Yeah the little pump in trans just pumps I think 8 to 12 gallons per minute to main pump.And they say they hardly ever have problem.I was worried about that when they fixed it a couple years ago.

Then you should be able to test the pump pressure where it goes to the front pump.

Yeah the little pump in trans just pumps I think 8 to 12 gallons per minute to main pump.And they say they hardly ever have problem.I was worried about that when they fixed it a couple years ago.And we tested it.Draining oil to put that check valve back in and try again.Got guy coming to look at 1966 land cruiser I,m selling.Get back soon.

Toyota land crusier? $$?

Good morning Curtis.Sorry did,nt get back sooner.Had to ride to town for rest of day.Sold land cruiser.Was for sale for 4 months.Lots of calls,but we live in middle of no where 50 miles from that,so think that kept people from coming to check her out.Was a beauty.33,00 miles no rust,everything worked.Sorry to see go,but have lots of other projects.Have another one.1975 but not as nice. The Man who bought it was a diesel mechanic who specializes in excavators.He looked at Backhoe real quick for me.From what I gathered from him was what you were saying,that the small pump he thing engages the clutch packs.Which now leads me to believe that the piston in the cluck packs have failed o rings..Looking like a split to me.Going to go see JD dealer on Monday or Tuesday and see what they would charge.Was hoping to pin point problem.Still going to keep trying.

OK>Thanks!

Hi Curtis.Called Deere and they gave me another number and it was the same guy who lent me the pressure gage.Small world.Anyway told him I wanted him to come out and check it out.What do you want me to get him to check exactly. He isnt coming till next week.

Find out if the pump has any output!

OK.He only gave me the fittings to check reverser control valve forward,reverse.Sure Am hoping it is the pump.Not the one inside the transmission. Thanks

OH, it is going to be the transmission pump!

Hi Curtis.Sorry havent been in touch.Just answer replys go to spam.My mechanic has something going on with his eyes,Double vision.Told him to take care of himself.Backhoe can wait.I,ll let you know how I make out,one way or another. Thanks

OK>