Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I need help with my cat 259b3: The warning light 7

I need help with my...
I need help with my cat 259b3:The warning light 7 (hydraulic lockout) is on and the arm won't move!
6/10/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

This is Implement Lockout (7) - This alert indicator will light when the implement lockout control is activated.

You have turned on the implement lockout switch or it has failed.

How is it activated? Where is it?

It is switch number seven in your operators manual. It should be the last one on the right.

To operate the switch, Hydraulic Lockout - Press the top of the switch to disable the hydraulic functions. Press the top of the switch again to activate the hydraulic functions.

I do not have that toggle switch. This is the only switch I have on that side. The bottom of it, which says override is a toggle. But the top is an on/off switch and makes no difference when I flip it either way

Have you removed the switch to inspect the connections?

If it is out what are the wire numbers connected to it?

What is the complete machine serial number?

I didn't remove it. It wasn't there when I bought it.We did remove the door, but then connected it again because we though that may be the issue but it still isn't working.

You should be able to easily pry out the switch with a small screwdriver. Check the connection and record the wire numbers.

Please post the machine serial number with your reply so I can find the right schematic.

Yyz05316Pry out the one switch that I do have? Is that even the right switch?The bottom portion override is a toggle but the top is not

Are the icons on the buttons the same?

Machines can be different from the manual as the options ordered can be different. The manual shows all available switches.

See if the switch has a part number on it and post it here too.

No I already sent you a picture of the one button that I have up there. The top of the button depicts the exact same thing as the warning light. It can be in the middle or flipped to the top abdbstay there. It's not a toggle.The bottom of the button is a toggle that says override. I'm assuming for the high flow aid hydraulics

Some switches did toggle on the bottom, it varies with machine options. The override switch is only used when you have an attachment you must operate outside the cab.

When you activate the override, you can then lift the armrest and exit the cab to use the attachment.

I did not receive the second image.

Are you able to remove the switch and check the numbers and connection?

Connection was good. Not sure what numbers I'm looking for. All I can see is the connection port
For a little context, everything worked great until I popped a track yesterday. I elevated the machine with the bucket to fix the track. When I got back in the machine I had lost all power and have not been able to get it back

Pull the connector out of the panel and note each wire color and look around the insulation of each wire for a number.

That is the correct part number. Just need to verify the wires are correct too.

All power??? The light is working.

Yes it can be the door switch but, normally the machine will move but the implements do not. Some machines are different and lock the drive too.

My machine will drive. I just have lost all power to the bucketWhen I start the machine and unplug the door cable, the Warning light immediatly goes away

Did you try the jumper wire connector in the door connector harness?

The colors look right but, I am not sure about the wire numbers and there locations.

My schematic is not matching this image.

OK well it's worked fine for two months. It did not just stop working because it's all the sudden wired wrong. How did this light come on? And how did I shut it off? Where is the jumper in the harness on the door? Pictures?If I take the door completely off, do I need to do anything to make it work? Or with the machine work as usual under normal circumstances?

The jumper wire connector is usually tied to the harness that connects to the door. That is what the jumper wire is for, to use the machine without the door.

Install the override and lockout switch back to the same connector and see it if helps. Then try the jumper wire for the door and see if that helps.

I agree the wires are not going to change but, I just want to eliminate anything really simple.

OK. What position should the override switch be in? Tilted in the top position, or middle neutral?

The lockout is to the top. The override is at the bottom.

Use the image that matches the lockout warning light indicator for the top.

Look in the grove the door harness connector was tied. The jumper should have been tied to the harness in your picture but, could be tied in the cab channel for the harness.

Can you send me a picture of what this jumper looks like? The only thing I see is the connector on the door part and the cat part there was another little wire on the door with a white plug in it, but it is on the door. So when the doors removed they can’t possibly connect to anything on the machineAlso, I do not have a clear answer on the lockout position. I understand the override is if you toggle it to the bottom. But when I am just normal using it should the button be flipped to the top or in the middle neutral position?

Didn't you say it only toggles one way?

It only tacos down, yes. So in when it is in the resting position it is just neutral. Or I can click it into a locked position upI need more help on the jumper. I am wondering if that has to be it. Where can I find this? What does it look likeWhat is the cab channel for the harness?When I completely unplug the door from the machine, the light disappears. But the bucket still will not move. What is causing that?

Follow the wire inside the channel in cab behind the door hinge area that connects from the door up to the dash panel. It may be tied up higher. It is a connector exactly like the one on the door harness but only has one wire jumping across to create a bypass for the door switch.

Ok, I was confused by your wording. If you mean momentary when you say toggle then as I under stand, your switch override toggles momentary at the bottom.

The lockout side will latch on when you press it in. This would turn the lockout ON and turn the hydraulic functions OFF. YOu do not want the lockout pressed ON so, leave it in the center position.

The light should only be on when the door is open or the lockout is pressed ON.

It does not make sense to me why you have no light and no operation of the implements.

Make sure you have everything correct. You are fully SEATED in the seat, the armrest is down and the park brake is released with the door closed or bypassed with the jumper wire.

I am doing all those things. Again, when the door is on and the connector is connected to the door, the light is on and The bucket has no movement. When I remove the door the light disappears but I still have no movement. I have searched the inside of this machine high and low, and there was no port for me to plug the machine side of the connector into when the doors removed.Does it mean anything to you that it operated fine for two months, and I only had this problem when I put pressure on the bucket and raise the machine up to work on the track? Then when I got in the machine the arm was dead. Does that mean anything?

The jumper is just a connector with a wire in it. It is not a port.

The reason your light goes off when you disconnect the door harness is the indicator looses its ground.

It appears your ECM is not receiving the ground from the door switch. That is why I wanted to find the jumper to bypass the door switch.

Is there anywhere else that could be? How can I possibly just not have a jumper?

It is not a wire, it is a six pin connector that looks like the one on the door but, just has one wire in it.

Some one has used it in the past and removed it from the machine. Or it was not installed from the factory.

You can create your own jumper with a wire or paperclip by inserting it into the cab harness on pins #2 and #4

There is definitely not another 6 pin connector in this machine. Ok I’ll try that. Where is the cab harness pins w and 4

It is that same wire that is connected to the door.

Your door contains the door switch. It may have an issue.

OK, so I should put a paper clip between pans two and four on that port that you just sent me a picture of? How do I know what pins two and four are? They are not numbered.

Yes, they are number on the back (wire) side.

#2 has a black wire (ground) and #4 is a white wire.

That did the trick. Is ther3 a more permanent solution than a paper clip? And does that mean that something in the door wiring is bad because it won’t work with the door on and connected

Yes, you have determined the issue is in the door.

Most likely, the door or cab was tweaked and the adjustment of the switch is not making contact to the proper position to complete the ground circuit.

The first thing to do is to check for a loose switch, damaged mount or adjustment. You may actually be able to adjust the switch to make it close correctly and not spend any money.

If you do not find any issue with the harness, wire connections or adjustment, then you will need to replace the switch.

If you have a friend with a CAT connector kit, they could make you the bypass jumper with a 3E3382 connector and some terminal pins from the kit. Just loop a wire from pins 2 to 4 and plug the other holes.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician