Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a altec aa-600 bucket everything worked super smooth…

Customer Question
I have a altec...

I have a altec aa-600 bucket everything worked super smooth then it started to have a little jerk to it . every thing works but it it has a jump to it in all functions.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model # AA-600 serial# *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had one outrigger leaking down when the truck sat for a day or two so i fixed that and replaced the suction hose from the tank to the pump with one good line because it was spliced in two places.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
The oil coming back in the tank is foaming like it has air in it that is why i replaced the hose. It sounds like the pressure relief is popping off faster than normal when it is just setting there. The problem first started when i was running it from the ground controls . It has a push in valve you have to hold while using the ground controls.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** be glad to help. Tri deadheading the functions and either direction to help expel any air that is left in the circuit from it being open. If Air does not clear up then it is an indication that air is getting into the system from elsewhere which is most likely on the suction side of the circuit. Check all the suction lines for signs of leaks or any areas that could suck in air. If sealed properly and aeration continues then it's an indication of a pump that is weak and on its way out unfortunately. Sometimes this can happen if a pump is running dry on oil for a short period of time as the lack of oil causes the machine tolerances to heat up and for the failure process to start to occur from excessive wear and friction due to the lack of oil. And a lot of cases you can hear pump cavitation noise as the pump gets louder. Check for these symptoms and try to work the functions by Dead Heading to see if you can get the aeration to clear up and if not then my other suggestions follow. Please reply back with the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. Please take a moment to rate my answers as that as how to say credits my time hoping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are greatly appreciated.
The boom has a purge switch on it that i have tried before
At what RPM are you running the PTO when this is happening and have you tried operation at different RPMs and if so what RPMs are those and what are the results?
it has a auto speed on it but i have raised the rpm but it just pops off faster. Every thing works as fast as ever other than the jumping part. In normal operation it would set there and run and it would speed the engine up if it started trying to die or rpm got to low and every minute or so you would hear the pressure relief valve. Now it pops much sooner and when you work a function it starts poping off faster and it seams that that is the jumping
Hey thanks for the update. What you are going to want to check is check the control valve spools in the control valve for those functions for any signs of scoring or damage and also remove the relief valve cartridges and inspect the O-rings for damage as
Well as the relief valve internal parts for scoring or damage that could cause a fluctuation or bypass of pressure
If that all checks out good then what you want to do is put a mechanical gauge after the pump and then check after the valve as well as before each component to see if you can isolate where this
Pulsation or fluctuation in pressure is coming from