Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an old forklift and it has had an oil leak and we…

I have an old...

I have an old Clark forklift and it has had an oil leak and we have tried to identify were is it coming from without any luck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Industrial Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

We have checked the front dipstick and is at full also the one for the engine and shows full. Today one of my employees found a deposit underneath the batter that measures almost empty the measurement was done cold and turned off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is getting harder to get it in gear

5/31/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Perfect

Model number or s/ n? Picture of the lift? I worked as service manager for Clark dealer for many years. If this is a swing out the battery and has a cap under the battery and a dipstick next to it, it is a Continental engine and that is the engine oil fill location. Where are you seeing the leak? Is it hydraulic leak, clear fluid, or dark, like engine oil? Or red like power steering fluid?

I don’t have the model. It was left behind by the last tenant of the warhorse.
The fluid is clear and it comes somewhere we’re the transmission meats the engine. And you are correct it has a swing battery. It runs perfect but I am afraid of killing it without the oil.

Automatic transmission, with just single speed forward and reverse? Transmission fluid is checked behind the upright, on the differential housing, should be a dipstick there.

You are correct one speed and reverse. That dipstick is a dark fluid and it is always full. Same thing with the engine perfect level always.
The one that we just found measuring empty was the one under the battery

That would be engine oil. The hydraulic tank is the frame on one side, gas tank on the other.

The o e Uber the battery directly mounted on the frame is the one that is low.
Were you able to see the picture I sent you ?
The nut that is under the battery works as a berry short dipstick. The fluid is clear.The same color as the drops we find

There is no picture attached. So it is the hydraulic tank? Engine oil is on the front gear case of the engine. Hydraulic oil dripping off the engine/transmission area would have to come from above, where the hydraulic valve and hoses are.

http://www.arizonarefurbishedforklifts.com/uploads/5/5/1/4/55142957/8418558_orig.jpg

Here is C500-30

Thanks for the model.
What type of oil you suggest and were shoul pour it in I guess through a cap the is at the end of the transmisión close to the fan. When open I stick my finger in and the gears fill nearly dry. I can’t see any oil

The gears are the timing gears for the engine, use 30wt or 10w30 for the engine oil. Hydraulic oil is just that, hydraulic oil.

I put it through the cap under the battery hydraulic oil ?

Engine oil goes in the cap over the open gears. Hydraulic oil goes in the frame, and filler would be the one under the battery. May have a breather cap?

Got it. Hydraulic oil under the battery till the dipstick measures full.
There are no grades of hydronic fluid ? One size fits all ?

Get one that says ISO 46, which is a standard hydraulic oil, about a 10 wt oil.

You just need enough hydraulic oil to raise the mast to full height. No need to over fill.

Perfect. I will test the mast and put in some oil. Can I send you mor pictures tomorrow just to make sure ?

Sure , there should be an attaching icon, either a paperclip or a tree icon.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Just find the Icon. Next to the window we’re we text.Just one last thing. You are really knowledgeable and pacient. I really appreciate you help.
Have a good night.
Thank you.

Thanks, ***** ***** the old Clark forklifts!

It is a great machine !

They don't make them like that anymore! Clark was the leader in forklifts when they had these models!

I paid $ 200 dlls to the person that was picking up the scrap metal from the wearhouse. I checked the engine oil and coolant and jump started it and to my amasment it started at the first turn. It has helped me a lot. I really hope that they kept on going with this quality of products. Unfortunately at these time everything is desposable and design to brake.

Parts are still available, either from a Clark dealer or aftermarket suppliers. Have a good night!

Thank you very much!Good night

Tjanks